ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prospecting for Diamonds in a river, Finding diamonds is not that difficult!
Diamond Digger
post May 4 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,480

I Posted this on another toppic "sluicing for diamonds" so I thought I shall split it where it can be more visible to people who want to give it a go!

A short discription of How To Find Diamonds in a streambed.
Research is everything, there must be a known Kimberlite area upstream.

It is the oily layer on the outside of every diamond that cause it to remain dry.

However all is not lost! I have added a picture of a diamond sieve, the results and how to do it:
First you need a flat hard wood plastic surface covered with a thin hard carpet (The cheap ozite type Brown color will do)
This could be placed on two rocks/makeshift stand in the shadow Not in the sunlight.
Then you need a sieve as per photo.
A shovel
A small builder’s trowel as per picture.
Two plastic bottles one full of Hydrofluoric acid and one empty (Check warning at the end)
One plastic tea sieve
A small bottle with screw cap to hold the diamonds

A strong back. Ok all the gravel on the bedrock must be shovelled into the sieve, remove the large rocks Unless it glints!
Then you have to gravitate the heavy material to the centre of the sieve. This is accomplished by dipping the sieve in water and rotating it fast from left to right make sure you do not spill any gravel over the sides. Ok while you do this you will be bend over sieve in both hands and make a shaking motion up and down at the beginning of each half rotation in order to lift the gravel and help with the rotation. The heavy materials will settle in the middle of the sieve. After ten or so rotations (It gets easier) You have to see the gravel move from left to right in a circular motion then you know you are doing it right!

You need to drain the water out of the sieve by just resting it on a rock for a few seconds.
Now take the sieve over to your carpet covered (Table) in the shade and with one swift move upend the sieve on the carpet. Now shake the sieve and bang it lightly onto the table to dislodge all stones from the sieve.
If there are large diamonds in the middle of the sieve it will be easy to see and will be surrounded by black gravel/stones/Ilminite/feldspa etc.
You will see the diamonds no matter the color immediately it will pick up the sunlight and reflect it into your eyes! Like a torch being switched on at midnight! (Almost)
If there is one or even a few pick them up with a tweezers and place them in a plastic bottle. Many old timers Like me put the diamond in their mouths, it is a reliable way of testing whether it is a diamond or just a shiny crystal. However a diamond does not get wet a crystal does a diamond does net get warm either a crystal does!

Ok lets say you did not see a diamond now use the trowel to attack the round flat topped pile of gravel carefully from the side and flatten it on the brown carpet looking carefully for a diamond, by shine shape and color.
The more diamonds you see in the rough the easier it gets. An experienced Digger will go through a pile in a matter of minutes. However till you are experienced take it easy. A small stone can pay for your mortgage!
If you find nothing do not despair look for the indicators if you see them keep going you will find a diamond at some point.
Wash all the gravel out of the streambed until you get to the bedrock and keep going. Diamonds can be anywhere as they do not behave the same as gold remember that
To test your diamonds right there in the field you can buy an Ultra Violet light that is battery operated. Diamonds in their natural form fluoresce blue it does not take steam from your breath or does not get warm so try a lighter if it burns your hand it’s not a diamond!
So persistence is the way to go unless you can afford to build a proper wash-pan.
If you find a 5 ct stone you can pay for the manufacture and have some change left!
I will be happy to help just get hold of me anytime, get out there and do your research try and find rivers that run through known Kimberlite areas! Research is everything then stake your claim!

Picture 1 The sieve
Picture 2 what it looks like before you start in with the Trowel.
Picture three Rough stones before you immerse them into Hydrofluoric acid.

A BIG warning here!
Hydrofluoric Acid is the strongest out there do NOT get it on your hands or in your eyes YOU will LOOSE an eye if it splashes into your face. It is the only acid that can get rid of the oily layer and gravel and dirt still sticking to your diamond, it comes out stunning after the acid bath.
So wear goggles and gloves (Acid proof) when using the acid.
I buy two bottles and keep one empty I just dump the diamonds into one bottle then leave it overnight in the acid in the morning I use a plasctic tea sieve to pour to acid out into the other botle and catch the diamonds. I always do this in a non metalic zink.

Have fun!
DD

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post May 24 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

A little bit of research if you are lucky enough to live in the area mentioned below any of the rivers that cross that county might have diamonds in them... when you do a hand wash look out for red/purple garnets. Then you are close.

Where diamonds are found in the United States - Colorado
The state of Colorado has been linked with diamonds since 1875 when two unscrupulous prospectors convinced the president of the Bank of California that they had found a rich diamond field. Their claims were a hoax - they had sprinkled the land themselves with gemstones! Kimberlite was then discovered in the late 1960's at the Colorado-Wyoming state line area in Larimer County, Colorado. In 1975 diamonds were recovered from unique volcanic structures called diatremes (the upper portions of these volcanic structures) which were located northwest of Fort Collins, Colorado. It was an almost unbelievable coincidence that the diamond deposit site was only 150 miles away from the prospectors hoax diamond field! In 1996, the Kelsey Lake mine began mining on a commercial scale and in 1997, the Kelsey Lake Mine produced a 28.18 carat yellow diamond. The mine was closed in 1998 but there are some plans to re-open.

Let me know if you try it!
DD

+Quote Post
Arbo
post Aug 28 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 27,821

Hmm.. I did not realize that there is a potential to find diamond in Colorado rivers. Is it really that common, or just an odd occurrence?

+Quote Post
sunspirit
post Aug 29 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 27,483

Arbo,
The area of Colorado that has diamond bearing kimberlite is NW of Ft. Collins near the Wyo. border. As I understand it, there are many pipes on both sides of the border. Not all have diamonds. The problem is that there is not much water around there. On the topo maps I have seen there are draws and gulleys throughout, but many are seasonal. If you were to go in the spring and find kimberlite, then there is a chance that downstream you could find diamonds. Since diamonds are light (as stones go) they may have been carried for some distance, and are not going to be settled in pockets like gold.
If you are serious about getting diamonds, research is key. On the Colorado State Geologic Map kimberlite pipes are not marked. (I may be wrong but I have not been able to figure out the codes for it) Find out what kimberlite looks like and take a hike. The area around Kelsey Lake is National Forest, but it is claimed. However that might be a good place to start. There is also some BLM land in the area that might be interesting.
The area I am talking about is huge, many square miles, and has a lot of pipes. Roughly from the Poudre river north into Wyo. and from Hwy 287 west to North Park. Horseback or ATV exploration may be necessary. (and friendly relations with the local ranchers) Let me know if you are coming up to look and I will share any info I have. Best of luck to ya, and remember - you could retire on a handful of good stones!

--------------------
Happy and proud Lifetime member!
I can't help it if I have rocks in my head.

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Aug 30 2011, 07:31 AM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

I find that research on the Old West stories and gold finds are a very good place to find good diamond bearing spots, specially those that are not recorded. If you come across a story of a gold miner that found a diamond while panning try and find out where he was and go prospecting.
There are many places with diamonds that have not yet been found.
But research is the thing do not dismiss any stories of diamonds found in rivers. Go prospect the rivers and very good luck!
DD

+Quote Post
Arbo
post Aug 30 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 27,821

sunspirit, thanks for the offer. Probably won't be anytime soon, as I'm still going to be assimilating the books of information on gold first. ;)

+Quote Post
sunspirit
post Aug 31 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #7

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 27,483

Me too. My primary interest at this time is gold (and silver). Depending on snow cover, an expedition up north may be in the works for this fall. The area in question doesn't get snow like the high mountains and when it does snow, the wind blows it away.(usually, at least until mid winter) I will need to check on hunting seasons in the area. Getting shot is not a good idea.biggrin.gif
From now till it gets cold, I will be collecting concentrates and classifing them within an inch of their lives.
If any diamond-like rocks show up in my buckets I sure won't throw 'em away!
p.s. I did hear that a fisherman found a small diamond in the Poudre river a few years ago. I guess it was just lucky that he had enough geology background to know what he was looking at.

--------------------
Happy and proud Lifetime member!
I can't help it if I have rocks in my head.

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Oct 8 2011, 04:39 AM
Post #8

Shovel Buster!

Sunspirit,
Sorry it took so long to leave a comment.
Now that spot where the fisherman found the diamond is where you should start washing the gravel, there must be a pile of diamonds there just for one to lie on top of the soil!
Wow I would be on it in a flash!
Let me know if you find anything.
DD

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Oct 9 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ Oct 8 2011, 05:39 AM) *
Sunspirit,
Sorry it took so long to leave a comment.
Now that spot where the fisherman found the diamond is where you should start washing the gravel, there must be a pile of diamonds there just for one to lie on top of the soil!
Wow I would be on it in a flash!
Let me know if you find anything.
DD

Hi DD,

This mining district is deeply eroded and numerous diamonds have been recovered downstream from the kimberlites.

Here's a link from a diamond geologist who worked that area that should get you excited!

http://diamondprospector.webs.com/kimberlite.htm

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Oct 9 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #10

Shovel Buster!

Astrolobe,
Lol Yeah I have seen that however it will take someone like me to get stuck in and make them pay. A lot of people try diamond digging and employ a lot of staff generally spend millions before a diamond is recovered then they wonder why they cannot find enough to cover the debts.. result mine closes and the investors loose a lot of cash.
Seen that happen on that mine up the road there, you know the one I am talking about. Very sad man!
There are a few places I would love to give a go, I can build the plant for a very good price get the machines in 2nd hand and before the first month is out I will be showing handsome profits.
Done it before for other people this time it will be for myself.
emoticon-misc-004.gif
LOL
Cheers
DD
Now if you know a clever sharp backer tell him about me...
happy070.gif

+Quote Post
rrtdave
post Feb 9 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #11

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 588

Excellent instructions, now where do I find this sieve?

Thanks,

Dave

QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ May 4 2011, 07:20 AM) *
I Posted this on another toppic "sluicing for diamonds" so I thought I shall split it where it can be more visible to people who want to give it a go!

A short discription of How To Find Diamonds in a streambed.
Research is everything, there must be a known Kimberlite area upstream.

It is the oily layer on the outside of every diamond that cause it to remain dry.

However all is not lost! I have added a picture of a diamond sieve, the results and how to do it:
First you need a flat hard wood plastic surface covered with a thin hard carpet (The cheap ozite type Brown color will do)
This could be placed on two rocks/makeshift stand in the shadow Not in the sunlight.
Then you need a sieve as per photo.
A shovel
A small builder’s trowel as per picture.
Two plastic bottles one full of Hydrofluoric acid and one empty (Check warning at the end)
One plastic tea sieve
A small bottle with screw cap to hold the diamonds

A strong back. Ok all the gravel on the bedrock must be shovelled into the sieve, remove the large rocks Unless it glints!
Then you have to gravitate the heavy material to the centre of the sieve. This is accomplished by dipping the sieve in water and rotating it fast from left to right make sure you do not spill any gravel over the sides. Ok while you do this you will be bend over sieve in both hands and make a shaking motion up and down at the beginning of each half rotation in order to lift the gravel and help with the rotation. The heavy materials will settle in the middle of the sieve. After ten or so rotations (It gets easier) You have to see the gravel move from left to right in a circular motion then you know you are doing it right!

You need to drain the water out of the sieve by just resting it on a rock for a few seconds.
Now take the sieve over to your carpet covered (Table) in the shade and with one swift move upend the sieve on the carpet. Now shake the sieve and bang it lightly onto the table to dislodge all stones from the sieve.
If there are large diamonds in the middle of the sieve it will be easy to see and will be surrounded by black gravel/stones/Ilminite/feldspa etc.
You will see the diamonds no matter the color immediately it will pick up the sunlight and reflect it into your eyes! Like a torch being switched on at midnight! (Almost)
If there is one or even a few pick them up with a tweezers and place them in a plastic bottle. Many old timers Like me put the diamond in their mouths, it is a reliable way of testing whether it is a diamond or just a shiny crystal. However a diamond does not get wet a crystal does a diamond does net get warm either a crystal does!

Ok lets say you did not see a diamond now use the trowel to attack the round flat topped pile of gravel carefully from the side and flatten it on the brown carpet looking carefully for a diamond, by shine shape and color.
The more diamonds you see in the rough the easier it gets. An experienced Digger will go through a pile in a matter of minutes. However till you are experienced take it easy. A small stone can pay for your mortgage!
If you find nothing do not despair look for the indicators if you see them keep going you will find a diamond at some point.
Wash all the gravel out of the streambed until you get to the bedrock and keep going. Diamonds can be anywhere as they do not behave the same as gold remember that
To test your diamonds right there in the field you can buy an Ultra Violet light that is battery operated. Diamonds in their natural form fluoresce blue it does not take steam from your breath or does not get warm so try a lighter if it burns your hand it’s not a diamond!
So persistence is the way to go unless you can afford to build a proper wash-pan.
If you find a 5 ct stone you can pay for the manufacture and have some change left!
I will be happy to help just get hold of me anytime, get out there and do your research try and find rivers that run through known Kimberlite areas! Research is everything then stake your claim!

Picture 1 The sieve
Picture 2 what it looks like before you start in with the Trowel.
Picture three Rough stones before you immerse them into Hydrofluoric acid.

A BIG warning here!
Hydrofluoric Acid is the strongest out there do NOT get it on your hands or in your eyes YOU will LOOSE an eye if it splashes into your face. It is the only acid that can get rid of the oily layer and gravel and dirt still sticking to your diamond, it comes out stunning after the acid bath.
So wear goggles and gloves (Acid proof) when using the acid.
I buy two bottles and keep one empty I just dump the diamonds into one bottle then leave it overnight in the acid in the morning I use a plasctic tea sieve to pour to acid out into the other botle and catch the diamonds. I always do this in a non metalic zink.

Have fun!
DD

+Quote Post
russau
post Feb 10 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #12

russau

Member No.: 43

you can get that sieve at any good mining supply shop. and there are several in Colorado!

+Quote Post
leonard
post Feb 10 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #13

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (russau @ Feb 10 2012, 07:38 AM) *
you can get that sieve at any good mining supply shop. and there are several in Colorado!

The process is the same as saphires. Here's a video we made a few years back.

Gem Mountain Saphires

Heres some pictures of Diamond Mining at Crater of Diamonds in arkansas.

Crater of Diamonds

Leonard

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Feb 15 2012, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Shovel Buster!

Hi Dave,
Have fun! it is hard work and do your research well before you go out. I find it is always good to rest the back after an hour for at lease twenty minutes!
lol
DD
Please post pics here if you find anything!
Thanks
DD
Russau and Leonard thanks for the cool info!

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post May 9 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Dave any luck in finding a sieve?
DD

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:00 PM