ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
COLORADO DIAMOND PROSPECTING, Colorado has diamond deposits, you just need to look...
fenixsmom
post Jan 2 2015, 12:01 AM
Post #121

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,305

Hi Erica! Welcome to the forum and to Colorado! You lady, have come to the right place. I feel free to ask anything and I'm sure someone will have a good answer!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EJJ
post Jan 2 2015, 01:38 PM
Post #122

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 119,208

Thanks for the welcome! I would like to say one great aspect to look at when searching for diamonds in the state line district is that there has been 2-4 thousand feet of erosion since the time these kimberlite pipes were created. The pipes that have been found to be diamondiferous have had most of the pipe eroded away by the time they were even found. ie diamonds rolling around everywhere! lol... I think a good place to start when looking for placer diamonds is to study up on paleodrainages. Where did water flow during the time at creation of these pipes? Where would placer diamonds potentially be carried to millions of years ago. Could there be a concentration of them there now? Possibly!

~Igneous is Bliss~

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jan 2 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #123

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (EJJ @ Jan 2 2015, 12:38 PM) *
Where would placer diamonds potentially be carried to millions of years ago. Could there be a concentration of them there now? Possibly!

Hello Erica! Welcome!
I think old water flows and glaciers could have moved many diamonds around and deposited them in seemingly unlikely places around the source.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rrhobdy
post Jan 22 2015, 12:08 PM
Post #124

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 118,062

QUOTE (Somethin' Else @ Dec 26 2014, 11:19 AM) *
Hi, y'all! I'm Rocket's partner. We have had a great time researching land records (I do this as part of my 8-5 job). We've been doing it on the State Line District for about 6 months now. Both Astrobleme and Dan Hausel (in his two bulletins, 11 & 12) have been very encouraging, suggesting we don't have to drill kimberlites to find lots of diamonds, just "pick them up off the ground"' or dig in a streambed ("there's lots of diamonds in ******* creek"). (I've seen that photo of the double handful of diamonds. Is this for real?) Logically, in creeks below kimberlite lakes and on public land seem the biggest potential for gemstone finds. We were both wondering, however, how deep you have to dig in a typical mountain stream at 7,000 - 8,000 feet to get to those choice minerals? Are we talking 3 feet or 30 feet? It also appears on the land records that there are a lot of closed claims scattered about. Does this mean they were mined out? Or did those enthusiasts from the 2008-2009 diamond rush just get burned out and discouraged? We're still planning that August (or maybe July) vacation, and are wondering what affect the 2013 floods had on the mountain streams and roadbeds? Are many still closed? It's been great reading all the posts and getting a growing education on the life of a Colorado prospector.

Hi Somethin' Else! When prospecting the streams for diamonds, think like you would for looking for gold. Diamonds are heavier than quartz and granite derivatives, and they will settle out (deposit) just like gold, but since they are not as heavy as gold, they may travel further. I tried this thinking and found a "honey hole" around Labor Day last year. For just a few hours work, I pulled out 42 diamonds, from Roosevelt National Forest area. Most of the diamonds I found, were in the 3 5gal buckets I filled to take home and pan later. They came from a creek where it exited out of a canyon into a small flat valley, it was where the stream velocity suddenly diminished that the diamonds were deposited in a small sandbar. I am going back there in July and spend a few days finding more. Attaching a picture of a .15ct sparkler from that batch.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
rrhobdy
post Jan 28 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #125

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (rrhobdy @ Jan 22 2015, 01:08 PM) *
Hi Somethin' Else! When prospecting the streams for diamonds, think like you would for looking for gold. Diamonds are heavier than quartz and granite derivatives, and they will settle out (deposit) just like gold, but since they are not as heavy as gold, they may travel further. I tried this thinking and found a "honey hole" around Labor Day last year. For just a few hours work, I pulled out 42 diamonds, from Roosevelt National Forest area. Most of the diamonds I found, were in the 3 5gal buckets I filled to take home and pan later. They came from a creek where it exited out of a canyon into a small flat valley, it was where the stream velocity suddenly diminished that the diamonds were deposited in a small sandbar. I am going back there in July and spend a few days finding more. Attaching a picture of a .15ct sparkler from that batch.

And astrobleme is right on with his aadvice... Just a note to a post from 2008... another way to ffind diamond possible areas, is to use geological maps and look for ring dike complexes. Stateline district is one example, with the Virginia Dale ring complex. Diamond pipes occur within and adjacent to where fault lines cross these ring faults. The kansas kimberlite are associated with a similar structure...but no diamonds found. Another example is the ring dike complex located just west of the Cumberland Gap on the Kentucky Viirginia border.. One of the known kimberlite locations in Kentucky is on a fault that intersects ne edge of that ring faults. Diamond exploration there found no diamonds, but if you interpolate history of streams,, which now flow paralel to the mountain folds, in the past, they cut through the cumberland gap... which would make that kimberlite pipe, now very eroded, the likely source of several diamonds found in Virginia. One was found on a hillside just above a creek that drained from the cumberland gap area. Ditto, for the one found in Richmond, above a river that traces its source back to the Cumberland Gap area. Just think outside the box using current geology knowledge.

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Jan 29 2015, 02:12 AM
Post #126

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Just 'cause no diamonds were found in the drillings doesn't mean they ain't there.

The lamproites of the Wasatch Uplift just west of me have had instances of microscopic diamonds and indicators as well as PMs and indicators for those. But while you may not make a living off of it, on occasion mineable concentrations have been located (just nothing diamond yet).

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
rrhobdy
post Jan 31 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #127

Diggin' In!

QUOTE (rrhobdy @ Jan 22 2015, 01:08 PM) *

Addendum to that .15ct sparkler... if you look close, on left side from top to bottom you will see cleavage line visible. There are 2 more cleavage lines visible if you look closely. And, yes, diamonds can have conchoidal fracture if broken under stress, but rarely happens, but this one exhibits one such fracture. Wonder what big diamond this chip broke off of.

+Quote Post
senseijim
post Mar 13 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #128

Observer

Member No.: 120,260

QUOTE (EJJ @ Jan 2 2015, 02:58 AM) *
Hello fellow prospectors! I'm very new to the site and new to Colorado! Though I've just recently moved here, I've visited several times and have a huge interest in the state line district. I'm sure I've done much as others have, read everything about the district...all of Dan Hausel's books and papers, looked at Google Earth for hours!! I've been up to the area to peek around. I live in the Fort Collins area and I'm looking to connect with fellow prospectors. I feel like I have SO much to learn and I'm extremely passionate about rocks! I'm hoping to connect with like mind friends and have some adventures this coming season! Cheers
~Erica~

Hey, I'm coming to CO to prospect for the first time also. As soon as it thaws out.

~~Igneous is Bliss~~

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jun 19 2015, 12:45 AM
Post #129

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

An update to conditions for prospecting/mining this spring...2015.

A colleague told me that he was talking recently with some loggers who are working in the forest at State Line Mining District. They told him about an encounter with some folks using a sluice box in a remote stream where they were cutting trees. Evidently, the miners had recovered numerous diamonds and they excitedly shared the news with the loggers. extra_happy.gif

There is plenty of water for mining or prospecting at the present time. I would encourage anyone seeking diamonds to take advantage of these prime conditions before runoff is over. emoticon-misc-004.gif

Good Luck!

ASTROBLEME

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Jun 20 2015, 12:15 PM
Post #130

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jun 19 2015, 01:45 AM) *
An update to conditions for prospecting/mining this spring...2015.

A colleague told me that he was talking recently with some loggers who are working in the forest at State Line Mining District. They told him about an encounter with some folks using a sluice box in a remote stream where they were cutting trees. Evidently, the miners had recovered numerous diamonds and they excitedly shared the news with the loggers. extra_happy.gif

There is plenty of water for mining or prospecting at the present time. I would encourage anyone seeking diamonds to take advantage of these prime conditions before runoff is over. emoticon-misc-004.gif

Good Luck!

ASTROBLEME

Thanks for the tip ASTROBLEME! I may have to make a trip up there soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jun 20 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #131

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Bring on the bling!! signs021.gif

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jun 21 2015, 09:38 AM
Post #132

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Mike, call me on this - the trommel may be effective for that type of work..... (edit) It can be used as a high banker too.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 1 2015, 08:20 AM
Post #133

Rock Bar!

Recently, Bobbie Askarson from Longmont found an 8.52 carat diamond worth $1,500,000.00 at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas. She said it looked like a quartz crystal and she only was looking for about 20 minutes before she found the stone.

Once you see a natural diamond, they are much easier to spot while prospecting. I'd bet Bobbie would be good at finding gems at the State Line Mining District here in Colorado. emoticon-misc-004.gif

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Jul 7 2015, 02:36 AM
Post #134

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,480

Astro who priced that stone? They are living on Colorado where that stuff they smoke is legal hehehehe
A D color 8.52 stone will cut out to about 4.49 +- carats cut stone and the value is if the stone is (Internally flawless and spotless) IF LC 4.49Ct = $405 460
Below is a link to diamond price lists both cut and uncut.

Now if she is to sell this stone uncut she can expect around $150 000 to $180 000 as a rough stone the buyer will then cut it into two stones a major stone and a minor stone, the minor stone is not worth mentioning as it will be less than half a carat looking at her stone in detail. The major stone will be around 4- 4.5 CT if it is a D (Blue-white) stone and perfect price is as above but if the color drops to f, g, h, i, then the price drops by huge chunks.

The buyer then sells the stone to a wholesaler that then manufactures the stone and he in turn sells it to a Jeweler where one would go and buy it.
So the buyer will sell for $250 000 the wholesaler will sell for $350 000 (Now it is a ring pendant etc) and the jeweler will sell for $405 460 or a bit higher.

Here is the link:
http://www.ajediam.com/diamond_price_quotes.html

So the price all depends on the four C's Color Cut, Clarity and Carats.
A fancy color stone may reach that price but then it will have to be sky blue or maybe Red but both of these are very very scares like Chicken teeth!
Have fun!
DD

QUOTE (ASTROBLEME @ Jul 1 2015, 08:20 AM) *
Recently, Bobbie Askarson from Longmont found an 8.52 carat diamond worth $1,500,000.00 at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas. She said it looked like a quartz crystal and she only was looking for about 20 minutes before she found the stone.

Once you see a natural diamond, they are much easier to spot while prospecting. I'd bet Bobbie would be good at finding gems at the State Line Mining District here in Colorado. emoticon-misc-004.gif

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Jul 7 2015, 09:32 AM
Post #135

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Diamond Digger @ Jul 7 2015, 03:36 AM) *
Astro who priced that stone? They are living on Colorado where that stuff they smoke is legal hehehehe
A D color 8.52 stone will cut out to about 4.49 +- carats cut stone and the value is if the stone is (Internally flawless and spotless) IF LC 4.49Ct = $405 460
Below is a link to diamond price lists both cut and uncut.

Now if she is to sell this stone uncut she can expect around $150 000 to $180 000 as a rough stone the buyer will then cut it into two stones a major stone and a minor stone, the minor stone is not worth mentioning as it will be less than half a carat looking at her stone in detail. The major stone will be around 4- 4.5 CT if it is a D (Blue-white) stone and perfect price is as above but if the color drops to f, g, h, i, then the price drops by huge chunks.

The buyer then sells the stone to a wholesaler that then manufactures the stone and he in turn sells it to a Jeweler where one would go and buy it.
So the buyer will sell for $250 000 the wholesaler will sell for $350 000 (Now it is a ring pendant etc) and the jeweler will sell for $405 460 or a bit higher.

Here is the link:
http://www.ajediam.com/diamond_price_quotes.html

So the price all depends on the four C's Color Cut, Clarity and Carats.
A fancy color stone may reach that price but then it will have to be sky blue or maybe Red but both of these are very very scares like Chicken teeth!
Have fun!
DD

Hello DD,

That diamond price link is great information for common stones. I'm not sure who valued the Crater of Diamonds find but I'm certain that the provenience increases the value substantially. emoticon-object-018.gif

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:38 AM