ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Prospecting the Gold Fields of Arizona, following the trail of the explorers
Johnny
post Oct 23 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #1

Shovel Buster!

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2

Howdy,
Yesterday the wife and I followed the trail blazed by my Great Great Grandfather Capt. Joseph Rutherford Walker. In 1863 he led an expedition to the area now known as Prescott. He was famous in his time for being a Mountain Man and Indian fighter and accomplished guide. (discovered Yosemite, led Bonnieville, first wagon train to California) We went to the little town of Walker and did some panning and scouting around...
WOW... we found some great places to pan and found some outstanding pieces of HIGH GRADE ORE!
With the drought the entire west is suffering there is very little water in creeks that normally flow year around. Most were completely dry, we found a couple of little spring holes that were on Lynx Creek, just enough to test a pan or two. Very impressive results for so little work...
Happy Trails to you all,
Johnny :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Nov 1 2003, 11:52 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Hi Johnny,
That sounds like a great adventure. :)
Do you have any pictures of your outing? I would love to see this area your speaking of.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CP
post Nov 2 2003, 07:04 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 3

Hey Johnny,

Sounds real nice. Hope we get to check out Prescott someday.
Looks like we should be down your way on the 10th sometime Johnny,
we'll give a call the day before. ;)

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Johnny
post Nov 5 2003, 10:31 AM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Howdy All,
Yep we did get a couple of pictures with the digital camera... downloaded them to Laurie's computer... so IF.. I can get them where I can find them I'll try to post a couple.
I had a gal call last night looking to put together a prospecting vacation. I had to withdraw my tours due to lack of response... 3 folks inquired over the last year. One guy wanted to come prospecting near Breckenridge the first week of April... snow was still 8'deep up there at that point. Another guy got ahold of me in August but he only wanted to go on a half day tour... not worth driving over 2 passes to meet him. Simply not enough business to make it worthwhile so I can't take them on tour, but I can tell them where to stay and who to contact... any good ideas for her? huh.gif
Please do give us a call when you get close... we'd love to meet you in Stanton and poke around a bit. rolleyes.gif
Happy Trails,
Johnny

+Quote Post
Johnny
post Nov 5 2003, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Shovel Buster!

Howdy all! Here is a pic from our trip to Walker, Arizona. I was in the bottom of Lynx Creek trying to pan out a little bit.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Denise
post Nov 5 2003, 01:24 PM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

;)
You were right.
Just enough water to test the dirt.
Great pic Johnny

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Dec 10 2003, 01:07 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Hi Johnny,
I just wanted to say that your website is looking great.
I love the story you have about The "Breckenridge Gold!"

http://www.rockymountaintravel.net/gold/in...e=toms-baby.htm

:) Keep up the good work!

--------------------

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Johnny
post Dec 12 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #8

Shovel Buster!

Howdy All,
The wife and I headed up into the Superstition mountains looking for the fabled "Lost Dutchman's Mine". There are tons of old maps and stories about the lost gold. Apparently there was some amazing gold taken out of the area, but none recently. Back in the 1860's the area was Apache territory and any who tried to go were lucky to get out with their scalp intact. :o

We hiked about 8 miles through some amazing rock formations and finally found some quartz outcrops on the North side of the valley. No big nuggets and the Dutchman's mine is still safe... but Laurie is sure she knows about where it has to be. ;)

There was a spanish family that had 3 mines according to legend, the Peralta's. One of the sons was a trained engineer and he left a series of maps to the old mines carved in stone. Clues about a wiches hat, heart of red stone, crossed trees, faces, horse head, and so forth. When you hike in and look at the rock formation and try to see these things it's like making pictures out of clouds. The light changes and you can see all sorts of things with a little imagination... laugh.gif

We took the dogs and they got a good education in cactus thorns, and we did scare up several coveys of quail and lots of other birds. I was trying to teach the beagle to track gold... give him a good sniff of a nugget and point him out and say fetch! blink.gif Must be a slow learner tho... he didn't bring any back... B)

Happy Holidays to you all... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Johnny

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:44 PM