ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Dec 27 2017, 07:26 PM
Post #436

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

Hello Everyone,

Well it’s been a while since I last posted. What with the Holidays and all, and several different moving targets, I just haven’t parked it in front of a computer much as of late.

Picking up where I last left off…. I was out with a few friends mainly on the hunt for some nice Zircons. So a little more about that. Three weeks back Nate invited me to accompany him and his friend Ryan to a spot where he had found some well
formed Zircons. Kind of odd that we were both finding Zircons from two different sources. The location is separated by a few miles as the crow flies, but at least 10 miles by road access. Just a fluke! All I can say is that up until about 4 years ago I
hadn’t found a single Zircon and now it seams they are everywhere. True enough to Nate’s word, the spot he took me and Ryan to did have nice Zircons. They were well formed and easy to break out of the host rock. Hopefully we can get back up there
sometime soon.

For the last two weekends now I’ve returned to a hole I started at the beginning of the month. The Zircons I’m getting from this location seem to be a little larger, and a little shinier. On the down side however, they are not as stable as the ones coming
from Nate’s hole. In my hole, they are associated with well formed Microcline. This microcline is hard enough that when I try to break the Zircon out of it, the Zircon often falls apart completely. Bummer! The ones from Nate’s hole are growing in
Granite, that is slightly weathered. A few light smacks with a hammer and the stone jumps right out.

The hole I started was producing some promising samples of Goethite as well. I was finding some stones, about the size of plumbs, that had the much envied “Coin-Stacks” on them. These stones were normally combos of Goethite, Odd Smokyie
Quartz, and Microcline. A couple of them even included Zircons. Seems like any of the stones with Zircons on them only had weak, sporadic Goethite. Looks a lot like someone sprinkled silver sparklies on them. I went up again this last Saturday and
paid a heavy price. It was cold, very cold! I found only a few odds and ends, the hole has stopped producing, and I got sick. I’ve been laid-up for several days. So that is how my year comes to an end. No more running around for me. Right now I
couldn’t even outrun the expansion radius of a fart.

All is not lost however. All I got to do is get back on my feet and I still have at least 2 more producing holes to finish.

Merry Christmas Ya’all and I hope you have a Happy New Year, Woody.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 27 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #437

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

“In the previous post”, That first picture shows the hole I started way before the snow set in. I really like spending my Summer prospecting, and then saving some producing holes for winter.

Next pic, Nice large Zircon. Exactly how it came out of the ground.

The third pic shows some fair crystals that came from the same hole, “Notice the sprinkling of Goethite”.

This post;
Here are a few more nice sized Zircons, the last pic shows how prone they are to breaking up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Dec 28 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #438

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

"expansion radius of a fart" smiley-laughing021.gif

Got that same bug that's going around... 11 days in now confused0082[1].gif

cool looking bits you're getting in to! Hope you find some more stable stuff!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 05:16 AM