ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Proof of the Reynold's Gang Treasure Found???
Enigma1
post Jan 27 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,570

Hello Everyone,

I've been hunting, hiking, fishing, and camping in Geneva Gulch since my father first took me there nearly 30 years ago. In my own opinion, I'd say I know the area better than most.

I'd never heard of the Reynold's Gang treasure until about a year ago when I was researching the ghost town of Geneva. At first I didn't pay much attention, and just found the tale an interesting footnote to the area's history.

Then I remembered an unusual find I had made in August 2011-

While on a long, remote hike, I stumbled onto the bones of a very large animal, partially buried in years of sediment and moss near a swampy/bog like area at about 11,000 ft. elevation. The bones were extremely old, and badly deteriorated. I uncovered several, including a fragile jaw bone that was under several inches of moss and mud that still contained a few teeth. A short distance away I noticed a rusted object which turned out to be a very old rusted shovel/spade head.

Due to the length of the hike back to camp, and the size of the bones, I only kept the jaw, and snapped a few photos of the rest. I didn't think anything of the shovel/spade I had found, and left it were it lay after a quick look. I had no idea what kind of bones I had found, and didn't think the shovel was connected to them in any way at the time.

I was interested to find out what kind of bones they were, as I had never seen such a large animal in the area. They weren't elk or moose bones, and why would such a giant animal have been wandering around at or above timberline where there is so little forage?

I posted the pics on an archaeological forum, and within a few days I had my answer from a Professor at British University- The bones I had found were those of a horse, and the Professor noted the extent of the decay as unusual and stated that this indicated they were quite old- he estimated around 150 years old.

I've since begun to wonder if these bones and the shovel may have been tied to the Reynold's Gang?

The account of the shootout, and the buried treasure mentions a horse that became mired in a swampy area that had to be killed/abandoned on the spot, and it is said that the stolen loot was buried at the head of a gulch around 11,000 ft. The tale also mentions the loot was buried in an old prospect hole after they had "followed the mountain around to the right". Geographically, where I found the horse skeleton and shovel, there was a large hill and the lay of the land "followed it around to the right".

Also since learning of the Reynold's Gang, I've done some research on Civil War era shovels, and the shovel I found was similar.

I'll be returning this summer for an extended search of the area, and sorry, I won't be sharing the exact location with anyone!

Here are photos of the bones I think may be the mired horse of the Reynold's Gang-

Cheers!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 27 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

HI Enigma and welcome to CP. sign0016.gif
Very, very, very cool happy088.gif
I think you actually may be on to something and I agree that you should definitely NOT share that location.
You obviously know the area very well but be careful. Don't end up like the Colorado guy who recently lost his life in search of the Lost Dutchman. Make sure your plans include letting a person of trust know your coords and time of return... could be a lifesaver. Also be aware that old undiscovered stashes could have ye olde rigged booby traps. Eyes and ears.
I recommend a good detector and wish you the best of luck! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Make sure you know the land status and legalities of artifact and mineral removal in your area of interest before proceeding. research.gif info_grin.gif Very important.
Keep us posted of your progress!

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 27 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,983

Also... looks like at least one other party has (reportedly) historically located the hose bones (Albert Brown) and had four attempts but said it was never found. Seems that the Albert Brown party should have found it since they were the ones that buried it... but apparently not? Must be a very well concealed rock cover over that hole... or Albert and the boys lied.
the plot thickens...

Fairplay, 1860, courtesy Denver Public Library

Finally, a posse was organized and on July 30, 1864, the outlaws were spotted camping in a forest. A gunfight quickly ensued, leaving one outlaw by the name of Owen Singleterry dead. One posse member, a Dr. Cooper, cut off Singleterry’s head, took it back to Fairplay and preserved it in alcohol, where it supposedly remained for many years.

The gang buried their loot and split up, fleeing the area. It was estimated that the gang had taken somewhere between $5,000 and $100,000 and area locals blamed them for every robbery within miles.

An even bigger posse was raised to capture the fleeing bandits. About seventy-five men were dispatched to find the thieves and just four days later, four of them were captured. Outlaw, Tom Holliman, was caught just days later as he made his way to Canon City, Colorado. However, Jim Reynolds, his brother John, and another bandit escaped to New Mexico.

As the five captured bandits were being taken to Fort Lyon, the first stop on their way to Denver for a military trial, a fight ensued. Three of outlaws were killed and two managed to escape.
Years later, John Reynolds lay dying of gunshot wounds suffered during a horse theft in Taos, New Mexico. However, before he died, he shared the story of how the gang had buried their loot, to fellow outlaw Albert Brown. He also drew a map, which showed the site of the ambush and the vague location of the treasure. After Reynolds died from his wounds, Brown and his partners traveled to the South Park area, trying to find the treasure. When they arrived at the site, they were disappointed to find that a forest fire had destroyed many landmarks. While they found an old white hat that supposedly belonged to the decapitated Singleterry, a headless skeleton, and horse bones in a swamp, they were unable to find the rocked-in prospect hole. Brown and his partners made three more attempts to find the treasure, but finally gave up and returned home. Albert Brown later died in a drunken brawl in Laramie City, Wyoming Territory.

However, before he died, he either gave or showed the map to a Detective David J. Cook, a Colorado Lawman. In an autobiography by Detective Cook, published in 1897, Cook quotes Reynold’s conversation with Alfred Brown as follows:

“Jim and me buried the treasure the morning before the posse attack on Geneva Gulch. You go up above there a little ways and find where one of our horses mired down in a swamp. On up at the head of the gulch we turned to the right and followed the mountain around a little farther, and just above the head of Deer Creek, we found an old prospect hole at about timberline. There, we placed $40,000 in greenbacks, wrapped in silk oil cloth, and three cans of gold dust. We filled the mouth of the hole up with stones, and ten steps below, struck a butcher knife into a tree about four feet from the ground and broke the handle off, and left it pointing toward the mouth of the hole.”

By all accounts, the money remains buried somewhere in the South Park area.

Readers' Comments:

I have found that there were three parts to the treasure of the Jim Reynolds gangs lost treasure. I have also found a crude map of the old South Park area which I made from the three parts. If anyone was reading the three different stories of the Reynolds gang they would have found that two of the outlaws were never accounted for until now when you put them together but were reunited with Albert Brown. Yes the treasure is still there, but it has something to do with the Appaloosa horse that one would not think of in the story. When all of this is said and done I believe that this treasure will be found and hopefully it will be.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Enigma1
post Jan 27 2013, 11:33 AM
Post #4

Diggin' In!

Thanks Swizz!

Great advice, and I've got most of it covered. My dad who introduced me to the area will be tagging along this summer as "camp cook" since he's getting a bit older and can't make the hike. He'll be stationed down below, and knows exactly where I'm going (he's the only one!).

I haven't done any treasure hunting, this will be my first attempt, because I think the evidence is well worth a follow up, there can't be that many horse skeletons in swamps at 11,000ft. up Geneva Gulch!

I have a friend in the Ukraine who metal detects WW2 battlefields that has given me some pointers and suggested some detectors. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions as to a good, light weight, compact detector? It's a bit of hike to get to the spot, so a light load is a must.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted!

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jan 27 2013, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

Hi Enigma1,

Sounds like an exciting treasure hunt, I hope you do well. Here is my 2 cents on detectors.

At the low-end there is the Garrett AT Gold, it sells for about $680. At the other end of the specturm is the Minelab GPX 5000, it will cost you about $5,800.
My suggestion..... Get a regular ol' cheepie form Wal-Mart. Here is why.

Unless that gold was buried close to the surface, no detector is going to be able to detect it. Even the high priced 5000 will not do much more than a foot. Oh sure, it can find specks all day long but it can't cut through several feet of rock covering. They do make Ground Penetrating Radar "GPR" systems but that will cost you 20K plus. So if I were you I would rethink the detector stragity. I would use a detector to help find clues like a horseshoe or an old cartridge. Something that might help set you on the right path. I would not go into it thinking that I would use the detector to find the actual loot and even if did I certianly would not be looking for just specks. Any detector on the market will sound off on a big nugget if it is close to the surface, a cheep $200 one from your local department store might suit you just fine.

I've had two detectors in the past and I just bought another one. I was all set to get the Garrett 1350 GTP but ended up buying the Garrett AT Pro. The Pro's selling point for me was that it can be submerged completly in water. It runs close to $600. The AT Gold operates on a higher frequency and is therefore better suited for fine gold. My detectors were mainly for coins.

Best of luck to you. I'm sure we'll all be looking for some fantastic updates. Even if you don't find what you are looing for it would be cool to hear how the hunt is going. Take care, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Enigma1
post Jan 28 2013, 03:35 PM
Post #6

Diggin' In!

Thanks for the advice Woody!

Like I said I've never been on a treasure hunt before, or done any detecting, so your advice is quite welcome.

My chances are slim of finding anything, but the horse skeleton is a better lead than most have found. Can't wait to get up there this spring and summer and do some kicking around!

+Quote Post
amorton
post Jan 28 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,475

For those of you not familiar with the Reynolds gang treasure I thought I would post this up.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Jan 29 2013, 12:08 AM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 15,615

Hey Enigma1,

After doing a little further digging I found that there are detectors out there specificlly designed to locate deep buried treasures. They are known as a "Two Box" system. Like the Garrett 2500 GTI. I found two different references that say they can go up to 20 feet. Just FYI, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)

+Quote Post
Enigma1
post Jan 29 2013, 10:10 PM
Post #9

Diggin' In!

Amorton,

Thanks for posting those pages. The Tex Taylor and Vernon Crow accounts are very interesting and tell a rather different version of the Reynold's Gang hidden loot than most of the stories I've found.

The Tex Taylor account was most interesting to me- a few of the vague details he left correspond nicely with the area where I found the horse bones.

The past few weeks of map study and research on this topic sure are making me anxious for springtime! I'm lookin forward to joining 150 years worth of Reynold's Gang treasure hunters!

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 30 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

I would like to join in just to help dig and take pictures! Serioulsy though, I wish you the best of luck. Man, that would be something to find it!

Caveman

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
amorton
post Jan 30 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,475

QUOTE (Enigma1 @ Jan 29 2013, 09:10 PM) *
Amorton,

Thanks for posting those pages. The Tex Taylor and Vernon Crow accounts are very interesting and tell a rather different version of the Reynold's Gang hidden loot than most of the stories I've found.

The Tex Taylor account was most interesting to me- a few of the vague details he left correspond nicely with the area where I found the horse bones.

The past few weeks of map study and research on this topic sure are making me anxious for springtime! I'm lookin forward to joining 150 years worth of Reynold's Gang treasure hunters!

Yeah I figured it would add some new details to your search. I am sure you are hungry for any details you can find on the story.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 30 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Very interesting information guys!! Here is a link to a previous thread going that has a bit more details not posted in this thread yet.

happy088.gif "Reynolds Gang Treasure" thread.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
dbx
post Jan 30 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #13

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 51,779

QUOTE (Mrs.CP @ Jan 30 2013, 08:59 AM) *
Very interesting information guys!! Here is a link to a previous thread going that has a bit more details not posted in this thread yet.

happy088.gif "Reynolds Gang Treasure" thread.

... and no hard feelings, if someone else gets there first.
smiley-clapping.gif

--------------------
-dbx-

+Quote Post
russau
post Jan 31 2013, 05:40 AM
Post #14

russau

Member No.: 43

haha, well actually i found this treasure years ago and spent it on lotto tickets! them bones are from me and Leonards Bar-B-Que we had there. i guess we were a little messy and should of cleaned up better!:)(in my dreams)

+Quote Post
Diamond Digger
post Mar 10 2013, 04:43 AM
Post #15

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,480

Enigma1....

Go find it but do not yell the find from the roof tops! Many people did that only for the Gov to take the treasure away from them leaving you with.....Nothing Nada silch......

So go find it and keep it to yourself.
My 2 cents worth inflation excluded.
DD

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:15 AM