ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How much are "specks" of gold worth?, Trying to put a dollar value on a "speck" of gold
Jammie G.
post Nov 18 2018, 10:10 PM
Post #1

Observer

Group: Members
Member No.: 147,553

How much are specks of gold worth? I wondered, I googled to no avail, and so I'v tried to figure it out myself. "Specks" is a fairly loose term so I mean the stuff too small to pick up with a finger or tweezers, what some call "micron gold" or "fine gold", often only a sniffer bottle can pick up. Between 500 microns (.5 mm, or thick fingernail) and 30 microns(barely visible).

A cubic 1.6 cm troy ounce of pure gold is about $1200, with impurities reduce that about 25% of that value or about $900 for "nuggets", and per cubic centimeter of "nugget" which is seldom square, rather usually rounded or in flakes which would be even less, or would come out to about $200 per cubic centimeter. So 1 cubic millimeter of gold nugget would be worth about 20 cents on average, since it takes 1 thousand cubic millimeters to make a cubic centimeter, and that's assuming the nuggets are round, flat flakes would be worth half that or less. It takes 1 billion cubic microns to make 1 cubic millimeter, and 30 microns is the smallest thing our eyes can detect, a human hair is about 80 microns in width. So "micron gold" specks might fall between 30-500 microns or maybe 250 microns on average(thin fingernail thickness), also depending on how round or flat they are shaped. So it would take somewhere between 8 to 80 gold specks to make 20 cents worth of gold. A piece of gold that's just barely visible to the human eye is worth about 1/1000th of a penny. If all my numbers are right. Does this seem right?
There is more than one "worth" in a speck of gold though beyond dollar signs, fun per hour, indicators of increasing or decreasing gold concentrations, put them in crystal ball with a little miniature gold miner inside and watch them float around, idk what else?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Nov 19 2018, 08:39 AM
Post #2

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

Weight is the easiest way to see what you have with all the possible shapes and sizes but it doesn't count for impurities.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Nov 23 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Wow, you've put a lot of thought in to this. Nothing readily available to actually weigh it, so your calculation is as good a guess as you're gonna get.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:14 AM