ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Scout trip
MikeS
post Feb 8 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,265

Decided to do a scout trip yesterday. The weather was great for February and the snow was almost all melted(low elevation).
First we explored an area not really known for quality finds but was interesting to see some different geology there. For the second half of the day we went looking for a claim that I have been wanting to locate on the ground for a while. We found a few of the claim markers and was able to take a look (look only!) at what they are getting into. In the end there wasn't much to take home except information, memories and a sunburn! lol!
Attached Image

Attached Image

Taking a quick look at some pieces the claim owner left behind before putting them back right where they were.

Attached Image

I have seen several people use these signs to mark their claims. I take issue with the use of "Federal Mining Claim" on these signs. I believe they should be corrected to say "Private Mining Claim". What do you think?

Attached Image

I also notice these signs are missing an important piece of information that is required. The LOCATION DATE!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 9 2015, 05:20 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Looks like a great day Mike, fantastic pictures. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I agree on the mining claim sign, could easily say "private mining claim" as long as it has the proper info listed with it.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Feb 9 2015, 07:02 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Looks like a great way to get out and enjoy one of Colorado's awesome mid-winter spring weekends!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 9 2015, 09:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (MikeS @ Feb 8 2015, 02:32 PM) *
I also notice these signs are missing an important piece of information that is required. The LOCATION DATE!

Cool trip Mike! cheers.gif
I have to take exception to the above quote. "Location Date" or other information is not required on those signs... in fact, those signs are not required at all by any mining law. They are just fluff in terms of legal information. You can hand-make any sign you want. Those pictured are sold commercially and another which is similar. I use both commercial versions, and lot of them. They are not perfect by any means but the only ones currently widely available. I'd like to see a better variety of signage but those are fine. Best thing is to make your own signs for your claim(s) if you have the will and means, I may some day for my claims but not a priority.
"Location Date" is required on Location Notices and Certificates Of Location.... those yellow signs are neither. The "Location Date" is required to be stated on the C.O.L./Loc Notice when posted on the claim. No physical Location Notice/C.O.L. sign or marker maintenance is required after that to justify the site's legality (although I highly recommend maintaining the physical on-site C.O.L. and boundary markers).
After a mining claim has been properly/successfully staked, recorded, and filed... no signs of any kind are required to be maintained or installed on the land. Claims remain legal and active with absolutely no signage.... otherwise vandals would have free reign as claim jumpers.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Feb 9 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 9 2015, 08:02 AM) *
Cool trip Mike! cheers.gif I have to take exception to the above quote. "Location Date" or other information is not required on those signs... in fact, those signs are not required at all by any mining law. They are just fluff in terms of legal information. You can hand-make any sign you want. Those are sold commercially and another which is similar. I use both commercial versions, and lot of them. They are not perfect by any means but the only ones currently widely available. I'd like to see a better variety of signage but these are fine. Best thing is to make your own signs for your claim(s) if you have the will and means, I may some day for my claims but not a priority. "Location Date" is required on Location Notices and Certificates Of Location, those yellow signs are neither. The "Location Date" is required to be stated on the C.O.L./Loc Notice when posted on the claim. No physical Location Notice/C.O.L. sign or marker maintenance is required after that to justify the site's legality (although I highly recommend maintaining the physical on-site C.O.L. and boundary markers).

Not required but they sure do let folks know you're serious! Someone that takes that much time to make their claim visible is likely to be willing to follow up with someone ignoring all those signs!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Feb 9 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #6

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 9 2015, 08:02 AM) *
Cool trip Mike! cheers.gif
I have to take exception to the above quote. "Location Date" or other information is not required on those signs... in fact, those signs are not required at all by any mining law.

Thanks swizz! cheers.gif

I should have been a bit more specific about the use of the signs. The sign in the photo and the others I have seen, seem to be being used as the Notice of Location on the "Discovery Monument" or disco marker. It is possible that they had a proper NOL then replaced them with these signs. I also recommend keeping up your posts and at least a simple NOL on the disco marker. I made my own to comply with Federal and State regs. happy088.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 9 2015, 09:51 PM
Post #7

Those signs do not legally qualify as a Cert Of Location. Must display MTRS, mining district, etc., in addition to the other requirements to qualify as a C.O.L.
If what you are stating is true... that claim was illegally staked. Missing far more than just "Location Date".
On my first staking I accidentally left out something as simple as Meridian. I was contacted Certified Mail by the DOI/BLM and instructed to amend my C.O.L. with the Meridian or my claim would be voided within 30 days of notice. I'm not sure how anyone could pull off using those yellow signs as being even close to an acceptable or valid Cert Of Location.
If they once had a proper C.O.L. on site (at the time of staking) they are good as Gold. Doesn't need to be maintained on site. A physical copy of the original C.O.L. will be on file at the County and BLM HQ as all are. I doubt that they originally used that sign as an official C.O.L. and copied it into their files. It would have most likely been rejected. Their original C.O.L. may have "disappeared" from the monument, I think most do since they are paper. Mine are in waterproof sealed containers attached to my monuments and labeled. I used to have them taped to the discovery markers in Ziploc but the Bears wouldn't leave them alone. Now Bear proof...... I think.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Feb 9 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Feb 9 2015, 08:51 PM) *
Those signs do not legally qualify as a Cert Of Location. Must display MTRS, mining district, etc., in addition to the other requirements to qualify as a C.O.L.

I used to have them taped to the discovery markers in Ziploc but the Bears wouldn't leave them alone. Now Bear proof...... I think.

During raspberry season I noticed teeth marks on my signage. Looks like I may have the same issue. smiley-laughing021.gif

I think I should clarify my use of the terms Notice of Location vs. Certificate of Location.

The regulations for Colorado say to post when staking "upon such claim a plain sign or notice containing the name of the claim, the name of the locator, the date of the discovery." and in addition with a placer claim "the number of acres or feet claimed." This is the sign or notice that I refer to as Notice of Location(NOL).

The Certificate of Location(COL) is what is filed with the county and BLM. which also requires in addition: Address of claimant(s), type of claim or site, and a complete description of the lands claimed.(MTRS, linear feet, acres, etc.)

I can find no regulations or laws that require any other signs on site other than the NOL when staking. I can find no regulations requiring to keep up posts or signs. However as I read it you do need to be able find the claim on the ground somehow with the COL info and landmarks and/or monuments on or near the claim.

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Feb 10 2015, 05:57 AM
Post #9

That is correct. cheers.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Mar 15 2015, 09:47 PM
Post #10

Rock Bar!

Today was beautiful out, so my brother and I went for a scout trip up to Larimer County. We checked for claim markers and went to an abandoned mine area that was closed in the 90's. I was guessing that they were chasing beryllium minerals. Turns out they were chasing copper ore. We didn't find any of the minerals we were looking for(Chrysoberyl, Beryl, Topaz) but we did find some Malachite, Chrysocolla, Azurite, purple Fluorite, black tourmaline and some garnets. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Sullivan Park
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Abandoned copper mine in Sullivan Gulch

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Malachite, Chrysocolla and Azurite

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Mar 16 2015, 05:53 AM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

GLad to know someone was out enjoying the weather; I was trapped I a basement on a 12 hour shift.

Great pics!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Mar 16 2015, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Sounds like it was a great time Mike! Good to see you and Dave out enjoying this fine weather! It's a beautiful area with some sweet treasures, thanks for sharing pics. greensmilies-012.gif That first pic from your finds yesterday will clean up nicely with the pressure gun. happy088.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 16 2015, 03:39 PM
Post #13

I'm so jealous, that looks like a great day! I'm chomping at the bit to dig with everyone on the 4th at the CP outing. extra_happy.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Apr 6 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #14

Rock Bar!

On Easter Sunday my brother and I met up with swizz to scout an area and prospect for a little gold and fossils. We found both! Another great day to make an amazing weekend! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Dave and Swizz
Attached Image

Attached Image

Me running the gold wheel.

Attached Image

Timber smiley-chores016.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I found a decent leaf fossil with good detail that I took home.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
NewRockHounder
post Apr 6 2015, 07:58 PM
Post #15

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 117,890

Damn that's a really cool fossil. Nice find!

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:45 AM