ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cowboy Holster
Crusty
post Feb 3 2015, 09:17 PM
Post #31

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Feb 3 2015, 03:16 PM) *
That's a medieval wrought iron knife I picked up a while back from BudK. Unlike most of their selection that looks big in the picture that was the exact opposite. Cool little knife though.

Now that I know my template is a good fit for Crusty's iron I'm going to go ahead and start. What style holster did you want Crusty? Same style as the one we test fit with, or something more along the lines of the one you have but sitting lower on the hip?

I liked your design; that would be a cool one!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Apr 13 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #32

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 52,528

Finally got time over the weekend to get some work done on Crusty's holster, quite pleased with the way the holster bucket came out. Pulled duty for 12 hours today with nothing to do but think about stuff and I'll be damned if I didn't have a few more ideas for the belt hoop and back piece. Tell you what Mike, this is turning out to be the fanciest simple design yet. Which isn't saying much considering it's only the 4th full sized holster I've made, but hey. Got something special on order for it too... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 13 2015, 08:43 PM
Post #33

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Apr 13 2015, 08:35 PM) *
Finally got time over the weekend to get some work done on Crusty's holster, quite pleased with the way the holster bucket came out. Pulled duty for 12 hours today with nothing to do but think about stuff and I'll be damned if I didn't have a few more ideas for the belt hoop and back piece. Tell you what Mike, this is turning out to be the fanciest simple design yet. Which isn't saying much considering it's only the 4th full sized holster I've made, but hey. Got something special on order for it too... thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I'm stoked to see it! Thanks for working on it!!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Apr 16 2015, 09:11 AM
Post #34

Rock Bar!

Sneak preview of something I worked up yesterday...I really hope this goes together like I'm planning.

[attachment=7907:IMG_2015...3906_965.jpg]

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 16 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #35

Master Mucker!

Gonna work that in to a belt?

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Apr 17 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #36

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Apr 16 2015, 01:54 PM) *
Gonna work that in to a belt?

It's for another prototype.

Another sneak preview, your holster will be finished this evening Mike! Totally unintentional but I love how the dragon I use as a makers mark is hiding behind it!

[attachment=7921:IMG_2015...4650_995.jpg]

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 17 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #37

Master Mucker!

cool indeed!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Apr 17 2015, 07:01 PM
Post #38

Rock Bar!

And here's the final product. I didn't technically lie about the cartridge loops, all of my holsters to date are still prototypes. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Even has a fancy dancy Air Force retention strap concho for style.
[attachment=7922:mikeholster1.jpg]
[attachment=7923:mikeholster2.jpg]
[attachment=7924:mikeholster3.jpg]
[attachment=7925:mikeholster4.jpg]

--------------------

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 17 2015, 09:43 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 6,983

Excellent work Brandon! worthy.gif worthy.gif
Love the concho and great pics! Great attention to detail.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 18 2015, 06:31 AM
Post #40

Master Mucker!

That's a work of art!! AF concho is a great touch. THanks Brandon!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Apr 20 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #41

Rock Bar!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it Mike! I had a thought this morning, next time we get together bring the holster and I'll punch a new hole to relocate that concho a bit. (screw back touches the cylinder slightly due to the pistol I used being a different size than his)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 20 2015, 12:57 PM
Post #42

Master Mucker!

Rog, will do! The concho is wide enough you should be able to slide it 1/4" or so and it should clear. Thanks again... I am in awe of how awesome it turned out!!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 20 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #43

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Apr 20 2015, 08:22 AM) *
(screw back touches the cylinder slightly due to the pistol I used being a different size than his)

You should be able to fix that by removing the concho... then take a Dremel and rout out the leather where the screw back sits. You can rout it deep almost all the way to the skin... most of the leather's strength is in the skin. I usually go about 1/16" or so deep. Then reinstall the concho and the metal screw-back should be recessed into the leather and not touch the weapon. I have to do this with all hardware (snaps mostly) so that they do not scratch knife when sliding in and out of the sheath. If it still touches, you can glue a thin piece of Deer hide into the recession over the screw back.
Look at the pic in Post #344 as an example of what I mean Here. Since the metal you are working with is cylindrical this may or may not work.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
swizz
post Apr 20 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #44

I'm not too far behind with your sheath Crusty. It will be burly at 6-layers thick, and needs to be. This is a large and heavy knife as you know.
I'm almost ready to start sewing. If I'm gonna match Brandon, I'll need the same thread from him. Also, rather than doing a basket-weave I can keep it natural like Brandon and add that same concho if I can get my hands on one. Any thoughts guys?
Here are most of my cut pieces and took a little trial and error.... but that's what I have a big ol cowhide fer! It's gonna be a unique sheath.
Lapis Sheath construction by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Apr 20 2015, 07:57 PM
Post #45

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (swizz @ Apr 20 2015, 06:03 PM) *
I'm not too far behind with your sheath Crusty. It will be burly at 6-layers thick, and needs to be. This is a large and heavy knife as you know.
I'm almost ready to start sewing. If I'm gonna match Brandon, I'll need the same thread from him. Also, rather than doing a basket-weave I can keep it natural like Brandon and add that same concho if I can get my hands on one. Any thoughts guys?
Here are most of my cut pieces and took a little trial and error.... but that's what I have a big ol cowhide fer! It's gonna be a unique sheath.
Lapis Sheath construction by ghostcreekmine, on Flickr

You guys are amazing sewing through that leather! The stitching on Brandon's is perfect.

He did order an extra concho... as far as the finish, having them both natural seems like a good idea, but I'll leave that up to the artist!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:32 PM