ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cowboy Holster
Dypheron
post Jan 8 2015, 10:16 AM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,528

So last week I picked up one of these:

[attachment=7545:IMG_2015...5454_912.jpg]

Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. Obviously such a thing does not deserve to live in some off the shelf kydex or nylon holster, it deserves leather! So I spent an evening working on a template and came up with this:

[attachment=7546:IMG_2015...5406_713.jpg]

I'm fairly happy with how the prototype came out, it fits well and rides nicely on a belt. I do have to make a few changes, the cylinder guard is offset and the trigger cut out is too shallow. I might cut down the area over the rear sight down as well, 7 1/2 inches of barrel is pretty slow to draw with a full holster. Damn stitch groover slipped twice on me and gouged the leather, luckily for me the cuts were small enough I could cover them up with the studs.

[attachment=7547:10906096...903226_n.jpg]

I'll probably make one or two more prototypes to refine the design, then get some nice Hermann Oak for the final product.

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 8 2015, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,983

Love the gun and like where you're going with that holster! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
What thickness of leather are you gonna use for the final? Might consider an optional leg strap slot near the tip of the barrel for that monster.
edit: I just noticed the small strap around your leg in the pics. happy088.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 8 2015, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

Very cool! with that barrel, carrying it a little lower would improve the draw. The quick draw guys carry them REALLY low.... just above where your hand naturally falls, and angled to reduce barrel drag - but that's for competition.... daily carry requires a different set up.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 8 2015, 10:56 AM
Post #4

I prefer leg carry over hip carry for that reason, quickest natural access to the weapon. Might be awkward for open carry with a piece that big though, I don't know. From the hip it takes up half the leg.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jan 8 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #5

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

We have guys around town who open carry like that, and no one gives a second look. It's not awkward once you get used to it. Not cowboy pieces, either. They carry .40's.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Jan 8 2015, 11:28 AM
Post #6

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Nice job on the holster!

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 8 2015, 12:25 PM
Post #7

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

very cool! If you happened to make one an inch shorter and need something to do with it, I can help you out! ;)

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 8 2015, 01:15 PM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

Thanks guys!

Chris, I will probably use 8/9oz. , the leather I got from the local Tandy for prototyping is 8/9 and I think it works nicely. What sucks is I can't just buy one of the Hermann pieces because they only go up to 24 inches long, that one piece holster design is longer due to the long barrel. What I might do is switch to a two piece design, I still have plenty of material left to do maybe 2-3 holsters so we'll see what happens.

I also thought the same thing about the leg strap when I did my test fit prior to dye and stitch, as it happens it also works great to make sure the holster doesn't start sliding up through the center strap. It's looped through the back panel and bottom, then two square knots to keep it from slipping.

As far as wearing it lower goes I did a bit of experimenting with my belt as well. I can wear it about 3 inches lower before it gets awkward and starts to move too much. I bet I could wear it quite comfortably as a crossdraw at the expense of not being able to use my right front pocket. Meh, pockets are overrated.

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 8 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #9

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Crusty @ Jan 8 2015, 11:25 AM) *
very cool! If you happened to make one an inch shorter and need something to do with it, I can help you out! ;)

Well at least I know what to give you for a retirement gift now!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 8 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #10

Master Mucker!

I picked up this for my S&W 6.5" until I come up with something better. Wore it around the house a bit and it seems like it'll work, but as mentioned above, being this high does make it a bit tough to quickly draw.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jan 8 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #11

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Sweet Ruger and nice work on the holster Brandon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I really like the pelt and the antique looking knife also. greensmilies-012.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 11 2015, 07:02 PM
Post #12

Rock Bar!

So I finished the second prototype this morning:

[attachment=7560:IMG_2015...0004_442.jpg]

Did a two piece design with this one, still working out some design details but overall I'm pleased with the way it came out. Did a bit of wet forming as well to stop the ejector from digging into the leather on the inside. It's a faster draw now with the forming and cutout on the front over the top of the frame, final version of this one will need a retention strap as it's now a looser fit than the first one.

Denise, that knife is a BudK special that I got a while back for a ren faire prop, I'll be doing a sheath for it in the near future.

Crusty, as it happens I've got a 6 1/2 inch holster that I just got finished dying, it's for a Taurus Tracker however I think it will probably be pretty close to what you would need for yours. If you want I can bring it over and see how it fits. Buddy wanted a holster for his and I decided to go ahead and prototype for another revolver.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 11 2015, 08:01 PM
Post #13

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (Dypheron @ Jan 11 2015, 06:02 PM) *
So I finished the second prototype this morning:

[attachment=7560:IMG_2015...0004_442.jpg]

Did a two piece design with this one, still working out some design details but overall I'm pleased with the way it came out. Did a bit of wet forming as well to stop the ejector from digging into the leather on the inside. It's a faster draw now with the forming and cutout on the front over the top of the frame, final version of this one will need a retention strap as it's now a looser fit than the first one.

Denise, that knife is a BudK special that I got a while back for a ren faire prop, I'll be doing a sheath for it in the near future.

Crusty, as it happens I've got a 6 1/2 inch holster that I just got finished dying, it's for a Taurus Tracker however I think it will probably be pretty close to what you would need for yours. If you want I can bring it over and see how it fits. Buddy wanted a holster for his and I decided to go ahead and prototype for another revolver.

Very cool work!! I'd gladly buy one off ya. We still need to hook up for lunch at that joint you were telling me about. We can hook up there sometime and check it out!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jan 12 2015, 07:27 AM
Post #14

Looking really good Brandon! Leather nerd question.... are you using Tan Kote for the hairy side of your leather?

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Jan 12 2015, 08:51 AM
Post #15

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (swizz @ Jan 12 2015, 06:27 AM) *
Looking really good Brandon! Leather nerd question.... are you using Tan Kote for the hairy side of your leather?

On these, not yet. I might go ahead and seal them but they're not really intended for actual wear. I didn't even really plan on dying them but I figured it was good practice to get even color across the piece. Still in the learning phase, will be a long time before I produce anything of your quality, haven't even begun to learn to tool properly. Even still, I'm quite pleased with how the three I've done so far have turned out.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:46 AM