ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ghost towns or battlefields open to public detecting???, Seen some in my GPAA guide around CO but doesnt say much about area?
Troy#1
post Mar 2 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Diggin' In!

Group: Members
Member No.: 57,979

Been looking for a good gold area to prospect but decided its not panning out so thought maybe somebody would help with some info on public ghost towns or battlefields or a private owner to contact so me and the wife could go metal detect and have some fun, bought about 1300 worth of stuff and very few seem to want to give up good areas for panning so hopefully somebody can give me a lead on detecting areas for an adventure in CO?? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Mar 2 2013, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 13,932

Troy#1, First welcome to CP, this is great group of people here. All the ghost towns on national forests are protected and all the battle fields that accured in Colorado are protected as well, historical sites, so no detecting any of these places. You can detect on old abandoned mine sites but becareful and make sure they haven't been reclaimed as an area I detected in 2011 is now all claimed up again, but I have yet to see anyone mining these yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You can start looking into detecting private lands by going out and knocking on doors. I did just that in 2011 and got permission to detect a ranch that an old stage coach trail went across, I found 3 silver morgans (1897, 2-1894). what part of the state do you live in?

You can go out into some parks and such to detect, but always call the city first to make sure it's OK to do so. Wheat ridge says NO! and Denver will tell you no as well. If you do some research of old maps of towns and all you can get an idea of were to start looking. Best of luck to you!
Dennis

+Quote Post
Troy#1
post Mar 3 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #3

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 57,979

QUOTE (traddoerr @ Mar 2 2013, 09:58 PM) *
Troy#1, First welcome to CP, this is great group of people here. All the ghost towns on national forests are protected and all the battle fields that accured in Colorado are protected as well, historical sites, so no detecting any of these places. You can detect on old abandoned mine sites but becareful and make sure they haven't been reclaimed as an area I detected in 2011 is now all claimed up again, but I have yet to see anyone mining these yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

You can start looking into detecting private lands by going out and knocking on doors. I did just that in 2011 and got permission to detect a ranch that an old stage coach trail went across, I found 3 silver morgans (1897, 2-1894). what part of the state do you live in?

You can go out into some parks and such to detect, but always call the city first to make sure it's OK to do so. Wheat ridge says NO! and Denver will tell you no as well. If you do some research of old maps of towns and all you can get an idea of were to start looking. Best of luck to you!
Dennis

Well Iam kinda in between salida and colorado springs in a town called Canon City lot of history here but Iam not the type to go knocking on doors so maybe I need a partner that can do the dirty work! lol
I got the dectector thinging it wasnt gonna be hard to find a site but quess thats not the case with all the stupid laws these days.

Will start at the parks and try my luck and hopefully meet up with more people on here that can steer me away from getting shot and on to some historical sites or some cache hunting! crutches.gif

Thanks for the Welcome and info Dennis

Troy

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Mar 9 2013, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Shovel Buster!

Troy#1, We may have to see about hooking up for a MD hunt this summer. I do get down that way a couple times a year to hunt/fish, also hit Cache Creek a couple times as well.

If you want to hunt in NF all you have to do is check to see if anything in the area is desiganted as historical, if its not go detect it, if your just looking for coins there won't be any problems, but any artifacts that are 100 years or older are concidered historical and can not be removed. If your looking for historical things best to stay to private land, but they(historical sociaty-archeoligests,sp?) are trying to change that as well with some new bills being worked on for this year. Best, Dennis

+Quote Post
swizz
post Mar 9 2013, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (traddoerr @ Mar 9 2013, 04:55 PM) *
If you want to hunt in NF all you have to do is check to see if anything in the area is desiganted as historical, if its not go detect it, if your just looking for coins there won't be any problems...

There will be problems if you're on a mining claim, BIG problems. You need to check for those too.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 10 2013, 06:42 AM
Post #6

russau

Member No.: 43

and watchout for ANY indian artifacts like points,axs,ETC. some, if not all states have restrictions on removeing any of theses from the ground or even possession of these. you could lose much more than just a arrowhead point if they find one in your possession.they could even come to your home and check it out. ive read stories about this happening. but like its been said,do your research at home and know what/where/when you can do this! have fun!

+Quote Post
traddoerr
post Mar 10 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #7

Shovel Buster!

Thanks Chris, I forgot to mention that as well, always check the land statis of the area. Troy, I know this sounds like allot of hassell, but once you figure it out it's smooth sailing from there. dancing_smiley.gif

+Quote Post
Dypheron
post Mar 10 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #8

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 52,528

Yup, otherwise you'll be using a detector to find 150 year old artifacts in the middle of a claim on private property. Oops.

--------------------
Life goes by so fast/You only wanna do what you think is right/Close your eyes and it's past/Story of my life - Mike Ness

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Mar 30 2013, 06:57 AM
Post #9

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Though I am "now" a learning MD'er, I have seen the "other side of the coin" in MD'ing- trespassers, and I want to urge extreme caution to anyone out MD'ing.

Case in point, a buddy of mine (RIP) had a ranch in Utah, and we encountered people MD'ing there without permission. He was always packing, too. Too many of these people did no research, and then there are those that think they can do it even if it is private property...then there are the stupid nazi pigs that think MD'ers can MD on private property without permission AND against the direct orders of the fella managing the property as well as against the orders by the property owner himself (Leadville "Gonna-be-A-Junior-Hitler-Today" Police Dept.)...and the MD'ers that think they can do what they want when they want where they want and they're packing a gun to make sure no one argues. I remember one time Roy drew down on an MD'er that was on his land, and that guy was stupid enough to try to ignore him. He couldn't ignore Roy's son when he tackled the creep and held him 'til the Emery county SO showed up.

Do your research. Get permission. If you can't get permission, don't do it. Show courtesy to anyone that asks. Show courtesy to those that tell you that you can't.
Most of all, don't be some dumb prick that's trespassing, packing a gun, and telling the owner to *.*., because you'll feel your age (or lack of) catching up on you quick.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
russau
post Mar 30 2013, 09:31 PM
Post #10

russau

Member No.: 43

AND fill your holes that you dig or that someone else dug to prevent yourself from being blamed for it! and packout ALL trash that you come across to make the land owner feel good about letting you on their land! it will pay off in the long run and you may even get permission to come back!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:08 AM