ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Securing the workings from the public
Coalbunny
post Dec 16 2014, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Master Mucker

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

As I already said in FaceBook....
Ok, I have a few questions. Let me say in advance that it has been years since I last held a lease on a claim, always leased claims, never having staked one myself. With that said, I am looking at staking a claim or two. Now considering how the laws have changed and what I have seen and experienced, I am concerned over how to secure my equipment.

In discussion with a sheriff's deputy, anyone messing with my stuff while it's on my claim, is vandalism at the least and criminal mischief and possibly theft at the most. So I figure I'll get some trail cameras to keep an eye on the stuff.

My thoughts are, while I'm there, have the worksite (IOW not the entire claim) cordoned off with an easily visible rope barrier with a few signs saying "stay out", and include in that "staging areas" for use and parking, and have those cordoned off as well. I see a minimal cost here, and possibly worth the expense. Included in the signage I am thinking a sign saying "leave the miners alone" as I have encountered people that just don't care. I know the next time I leave my sluicebox in the water and go "take care of mother nature" and come back only to find some schmuck picking in my box...I know what I'd like to do, but then I also want to avoid getting 20+ years up-state.

I was originally thinking of a 50 meter radius, but that may not be proper. So I'm thinking just the immediate area around the equipment and worksite, specifically the active workings, and then a 50 meter radius around those. So far it seems it's permissible, to keep unauthorized people away.

And as discussed in FB, if someone is so upset they can't camp there, there's tens of thousands of acres of available BLM land in the immediate area then can camp on. If the want to hunt, wait until hunting season. If they wanna fish, good luck as I have been watching one particular creek there and I have never seen a fish there, nor has the ichthyologist with the State (though I will double check with him on this).

However, I am serious about the "DO NOT DISTURB THE MINERS" sign.

So I'm asking you guys for advice in dealing with this stuff in today's world.

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:54 PM