ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Blue Bowl or Panning wheel?
Boogie
post Jul 29 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #16

Shovel Buster!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,248

QUOTE (russau @ Jul 29 2010, 10:05 AM) *
i made my own autofeeder after i saw Gats. his was the one used at the 07 Rocky Mountain Miners Rally in Idahoe Springs Co. that Dan & Mrs.CP put on. they are very simple to make, and no, mine doesent vibrate. it only uses a small spray of water to move the screened cons down the feeder and into what ever device you use for cleanups.

If not too much trouble, could you post a picture sometime? I'd really like to see your setup.

Boogie

--------------------
peto metallum honestus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jul 29 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,983

QUOTE (Boogie @ Jul 29 2010, 12:09 PM) *
If not too much trouble, could you post a picture sometime? I'd really like to see your setup.

Boogie

ditto

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
RichDColorado
post Jul 29 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #18

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 6,577

Yes - I'd like to see a pic as well. Keene makes one and I also saw another listed on ebay. But, they're fairly pricey, IMO - Would be nice to see a setup which is reliable and can be made at home.

+Quote Post
CP
post Jul 29 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #19

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (russau @ Jul 29 2010, 10:05 AM) *
i made my own autofeeder after i saw Gats. his was the one used at the 07 Rocky Mountain Miners Rally in Idahoe Springs Co. that Dan & Mrs.CP put on. they are very simple to make, and no, mine doesent vibrate. it only uses a small spray of water to move the screened cons down the feeder and into what ever device you use for cleanups.

I think the one Russ is refering to was actually used at the RMMR 04'. Time flies when you're having fun eh Russ? smiley-shocked003.gif biggrin.gif

There are several pictures of the feeder posted in the forum, the best ones can be found in the thread titled "Con Cleaner". You can just click on the pictures in that thread for full size details. Since those were uploaded quite a few years ago, the forum upgrades since then have down sized the thumbnails for some reason.

We used the feeder table with a modified henry henry type mini sluice and it worked wonderfully.

CP

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
Boogie
post Jul 29 2010, 08:49 PM
Post #20

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 7,248

Cool! Thanks! That's quit a clever design.

--------------------
peto metallum honestus

+Quote Post
noeolddog
post May 14 2014, 05:28 PM
Post #21

Observer

Member No.: 117,634

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Jul 25 2010, 04:27 PM) *
Which do you prefer for final cleanup and reasons for your preference if you please. There seems to be a love/hate relationship with both products. I have quite a few cons with good color classified to -30 and -100 and manual panning takes way too long. When you feed either a bowl or wheel does it make a difference if the material is wet or dry - does hydrophobicity become a problem with dry material? Same question would apply when running material through a sluice - do you run your raw material wet or dry? Could smaller fines ride the water right out of the sluice or cleanup device if put in dry?

I also have a cleanup sluice similar to the Tom and Perry Massie "white gutter" style, but have noticed that many of the small/tiny pieces don't get trapped in the riffles, so not sure if that style of cleanup sluice is not efficient with very fine gold or maybe I'm doing something wrong in using it.

Lastly, has anyone made a homemade blue bowl? There are some plans on the 'net and some videos on youtube. Maybe it's just me, but the sellers like Keene seem to be pretty proud of those things - $70 or so for a bowl which is probably worth about $10 at most, IMO (I know - the gold recovery will pay for itself in no time). There has to be a way to build a better (and cheaper) goldtrap -

Thanks - Rich

I prefer the blue bowl over a spiral wheel. With the blue bowl I only have to run my cons once. With the spiral wheel you always miss some. Ans besides that, the blue bowl is alot cheaper and it gets the job done right the first time.

+Quote Post
russau
post May 15 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #22

russau

Member No.: 43

ive owned or used them all and I prefer a Miller Table over everything, and ive made a few of them aswell! itll clean/save the fine gold better and cheaper than anything on the market!

+Quote Post
720fly
post Jun 18 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #23

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 43,666

QUOTE (RichDColorado @ Jul 25 2010, 10:34 PM) *
magnetic material

Might not have used the " quote " the right way. Sorry if so.
I was always taught the useing a magnet to pull material was a bad idea. I was taught that the material being pulled out would also trap fine/flour gold. Was I misinformed?

--------------------
I want nuggets

+Quote Post
Caveman
post Jun 18 2014, 03:19 PM
Post #24

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 41,357

QUOTE (720fly @ Jun 18 2014, 11:24 AM) *
Might not have used the " quote " the right way. Sorry if so.
I was always taught the useing a magnet to pull material was a bad idea. I was taught that the material being pulled out would also trap fine/flour gold. Was I misinformed?

No, you are not misinformed. There are ways to get around it, however. First pull out the magnetics wet, and save them. Second, allow them to dry thoroughly. Third, set up four stages of catch basins, and then separate the magnetics, staging this through the four stations. All four basins will have material to put through the Blue Bowl. There is a vid on the Prospecting channel on how to do this process - I finally broke down and bought a magnet tool to do this, but I was using some super magnets in a couple of pudding cups, and it worked just fine.

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104

+Quote Post
hardrocker
post Jul 26 2014, 06:35 PM
Post #25

Observer

Member No.: 117,942

I am just starting a small hard rock mine, grinding my schist/quartz down to -100 mesh then running the material through a gold cube and building up quite a supply of concentrates. I am having a difficult time separating the iron pyrites and other non-gold materials out, though I know through testing that there is 92% free gold present at pretty high opt values. Is the blue bowl-type setup the way to go for this next stage of refinement?

+Quote Post
russau
post Jul 27 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #26

russau

Member No.: 43

Why spend the $$ when the Miller table that's feed with a autofeeder is cheaper / and IMHO runs cleaner than any of them others! besides they all are recycled material. if in doubt, rerun them with a lower water pressure for the really small stuff! the best Miller tables are made from slate!!

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 15 2017, 05:49 PM
Post #27

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

Great question... I've had a Blue Bowl for a couple years. Never really "bonded with it" lol I know I'm too impatient to feed it as slowly as it should be fed. Came across a too good to pass up deal on a Gold Miner Spiral Gold Panning Machine, so I'm giving it a go.

Here's what it captured from about 3" of Blue Bowl tailings which I've also put my 12-20 mesh tailings.

Not knocking the Blue Bowl, but it definitely takes more patience than I have.

Still have to get comfortable with the wheel; I've got micron in the tailings catch, so I know I don't have the angle/water flow dialed in.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jan 15 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #28

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

The Gold Wheel is quite hypnotic! groucho.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMDGK0hsyY

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jan 15 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #29

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I've been "borrowing" a buds gold magic gold spiral for about the last year. I've run the same half bucket of cons through it three times and I still get gold.
It feeds pretty fast but it doesn't seem to get everything. It also has a weird "twitch" or "catch" a few times in a rotation so that may not be prime.
It's super easy to use and gets "most of the gold" by the second time through I'd say. I'm never that anal about the tiniest specks so it's fine. I've seen where dudes set them up in a creek and scoop into it right off the creek bed. If I saw someone doing that I'd wait till they were done for the day and go run their tailings through my sniper baby! Oh yeah! Easiest gold all day!

If you want to catch it all the gold magic might be lacking. Blue bowls and other spirals are more precise tools for the finest little specks IMO.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jan 15 2017, 08:23 PM
Post #30

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

To be fair I also must say that I don't classify my cons like someone would normally for a gold wheel or a miller table. I just scoop it in, so I'm sure if I classified it would help.
It's supposed to classify for you I was told. It's sizes down from 1/8 inch mostly. I picked up a really fine kitchen sieve at the thrift store yesterday so I might do that and give it a 4th run for the hell of it. Each time I've run it I get more and more fine gold.
It's sure faster than tapping out a spoonful at a time though.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:04 PM