ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solar Upgrades...., and a blown up generator!
Caveman
post Feb 5 2014, 09:36 AM
Post #1

Master Mucker!

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,357

Signed a contract to upgrade our solar last Saturday, and our old Generac Guardian 16kw gave up and ate its rotor and stator, so it was replaced by another Guardian 14kw
genset on Tuesday. Guardian Gensets are designed as back-up generators for homes when the power grid fails. For non-grid homes (like mine), they back up the solar
power during the night (and low sun days) - that is, when the batteries are drawn down to a certain voltage, the system turns on the generator to bring them back up full.
This should not happen very often, but as my current system is now under-sized, it runs every day. A few years ago, something went wrong with the old genset (a rat made
a nest in the generation unit), and I had it repaired then. It blew a board, and the contacts on the rotor were greased up with rat fat, which caused arcing. This probably led
to the current failure. The new genset is critter-proofed by fine (1/8") screening from the factory. The old one was protected by 1/4" screening (obviously not fine enough).

On to the Solar Upgrade:
The upgrades - 3900kw of SunPower E-20 solar panels on a Wattsun Tracker, upgrading Outback inverters to 48v from 24, adding 12 more Trojan L16RE-2v batteries (old
ones are less than 4 months old), 1000w Bergey wind turbine on a 60' supported tower.

Ideally, an off-grid home should be equipped with 150w of solar per battery. We don't come any where close to that currently. Plus our current panels are old, and not at
peak efficiency (we are getting around 700w out of 1025w, on a very good day). Things you learn as you go along.... Neither my wife nor I are minimalists either, and we
have 3 parrots that need to be kept warm. Plus, our horse waterer has a bowl and pipe heater to keep it from freezing. Add a refrigerator, well pump, pressure pump,
microwave, TV, phones, satellite dvr receiver, dvd player, etc., and you will see that our requirements far exceed what we have now. We have things on timers to reduce
load, but it doesn't reduce it enough. Hence the upgrades to the system. Plus we have added an outbuilding that must be heated (kept at 55F until it is in use), and a
sunroom (where the birds are kept) heated by a pellet stove and kept at 65F during the night. Our upgraded system will better handle the load, plus added insulation to the
sunroom floor framing this spring will help. Until then - no lights on during the day, TV use kept to a minimum, power the well pump only when the generator is on, etc., etc.,
etc. At least I am here full time now, so when something goes wrong, fails, or starts to fail, I usually catch it quickly and can try to remedy it before it causes a big hit to the
bank. However, The genset failed catastrophically, so there was no way to have caught it early - there was no sign other than the occasional blown fuse - when replaced, the
genset acted normally, and all readings were good with no alarms. Even had it looked at twice, and the techs could not find any problems. Then, no start and a VERY strong
burnt windings odor. ARRRRGGGH. Even caused a 120v feedback alarm on the B/U inverter. Fortunately, that was cleared with a complete system reset. It was a very bad
day - but STILL way better than Peyton's! I actually felt sorry for him. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Caveman
Aulus Livius Maximus
World Traveler, 7 Continent Walker
LEVEL 3
LIFETIME MEMBER
Referral Code: SE2104
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Caveman   Solar Upgrades....   Feb 5 2014, 09:36 AM
- - traddoerr   Caveman, thats quite an investment! I have s...   Feb 5 2014, 08:40 PM
- - Caveman   Very similar. Ours right now is a 24v system with...   Feb 5 2014, 10:12 PM
- - russau   yep its so important to know how much power (wats/...   Feb 6 2014, 05:33 AM
- - OklaPony   Bergey wind turbine? Cool, that's from right ...   Feb 6 2014, 10:53 AM
- - Caveman   Yep, and they have an outstanding reputation.   Feb 6 2014, 01:11 PM
- - Mrs.CP   Great system you have there Caveman!! Make...   Feb 7 2014, 06:32 AM
- - Caveman   Thanks, Denise, and Thank God we ran into some ver...   Feb 7 2014, 11:22 AM
- - ColoradoProspector   Very nice set up Caveman! Our off grid set u...   Feb 7 2014, 06:37 PM
- - Caveman   Oh, man. That would work for us on a part time us...   Feb 8 2014, 01:50 PM
- - ColoradoProspector   Thanks Caveman and no worries on the panels, just ...   Feb 8 2014, 08:03 PM
- - Mrs.CP   It's our home and I LOVE it!!!   Feb 9 2014, 08:53 AM
- - Caveman   I know what you mean about those "on demand...   Feb 9 2014, 10:31 AM
- - Mrs.CP   I know Scott, sorry you thought I was upset about ...   Feb 9 2014, 10:46 AM
- - Caveman   Planning on that here, plus an in-ground green hou...   Feb 9 2014, 11:45 AM
- - Caveman   Have you tried to add bushes like service berries?...   Feb 10 2014, 10:01 AM
- - Mrs.CP   We definately will be doing that but for now we ar...   Feb 10 2014, 11:14 AM
- - Caveman   Oh my, that well permit is expensive now! (Wel...   Feb 10 2014, 11:53 AM
- - Caveman   First part of the upgrades going in this week - 12...   Feb 10 2014, 03:50 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:57 PM