ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

31 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
My last outing, A Weekly posting
Woody
post Aug 24 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #86

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,615

Thanks Leonard,

I did see that several months ago along with the video. I would sure like to get up there sometime. I am sure I will it is just a matter of when. Thanks for the reminder, woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member
(currently working hard in the procurement department)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 24 2011, 07:38 AM
Post #87

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Great smokey Woody, love the way it shows the colors. The one you gave us with the layers of white microcline overgrown on the smokey quartz is really cool as well. I will have to get a picture of it and post it here. You definately find some cool goodies out there! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Thanks for sharing them with us. happy088.gif

Cool video Leonard, I never get tired of looking at Fluorites......especially the purple and baby blue ones. The baby blue ones are my favorite.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Aug 24 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #88

Rock Bar!

That special time of year,

Anyone remember how excited you got as a kid during Christmas? The family gets together, the house is full of wonderful smells, just an all around time of joy. Well today starts my “Kid-Christmas”

I am all packed up and I leave tonight for the high country on a 12 day Archery Hunt. It is a long way away from civilization and way up on Grand Mesa. Although I have a tag for Deer, Elk, and Bear the success of the hunt will not necessarily be based on how many animals are taken. Just being out there is the main reason. If I don’t get anything it will not be the first time. Sure I enjoy every outing I do all year long but hunting camp is exceptional. Some of my earliest childhood memories are of the entire family coming together and heading to the hills. Even when I was too young to tag along for the hunt I enjoyed the thrill of hanging around the camp. Now it is an annual ritual that unquestionably ranks as one of my highest priorities.

So if you happen to be up in the hills in the near future and you see some ol’ feller grinning from ear to ear, don’t worry, it’s just me. And in the back of my mind I’m just running around the house in my pajamas with my teddy bear under my arm with all the other kids, in total amazement of all the bright colors and can’t wait to open up those presents.

To all the hunters out there, Happy Kid Christmas. Be safe and have a great hunt, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
kmontoya911
post Aug 24 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #89

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 15,180

Good luck to you Woody. I hope you have a great trip. I couldn't agree with you more. I still have some time before my trip in late october. 10 days in a wall tent is my annual heaven. The being there is what recharges all my batteries for the day to day here in reality. I can only wait til my kids are old enough to come enjoy it with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Denise
post Aug 31 2011, 07:09 AM
Post #90

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

I hope all is going well for you Woody! I can almost hear you now, "ssssssh, be very very quiet, Im hunting elk". biggrin.gif

Here is that really cool smokey crystal that has the strange over growth that Woody gave us. Not something I see all the time, so it stood out to me.
It's fantastic Woody, good job on the sweet find! emoticon-misc-004.gif extra_happy.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #91

Rock Bar!

Thanks Mrs CP,

That material is what I have been calling Banded Black Fluorite. I get it in one location by the bucket loads. I always thought it was fluorite because it was softer than I would expect from Quartz. I will have to do some more checking and see if maybe I was wrong. Hope you can do something nice with it. I can always get you some more. Later, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #92

Rock Bar!

Back from my hunting vacation.

I had an excellent week in the western mountains of Colorado. My two brothers and myself drove two hours on ATVs and set up hunting camp in a real nice, remote area. Just being far away from all the hassles and grind of the day to day normal life makes this time of year a pleasure. It is truly the peak of my year. I did harvest an Elk, but the success of the hunt was measured in so many different ways. I could go on and on about the entire week but will end by saying it was all that I could hope it to be and post up a few pictures of the adventure. Have a good one, Woody.

The first pic shows the 4 Wheeler all packed up and ready to head out to start the trip.

The second pic was home for 8 days. It rained almost every day but dried out nicely by noon.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #93

Rock Bar!

The next pic is one I took on opening morning as I hiked up the hill. So much area that I had to cover but I knew I had several days so I did not have to rush anything. My camp was somewhere down below and the view from up here was outstanding. The second pic shows how much the landscape can change. It can go from high mountain slide rock to cedars and sagebrush in just a short while.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #94

Rock Bar!

Here are a few pics of some of the critters I met along the way.

-A Cricket, This type can be a real problem in some areas. It is called a Mormon Cricket.
-A Moth that is tailored made for the Aspens.
-A wasps nest, they are quit common up here. I have never seen one like this on the side of a tree before.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #95

Rock Bar!

Here is a rather unfortunate spider. It was on the inside of our tent and when I tried to move it to the outside it dropped to the floor and hundreds of tiny babies started to scatter. It looked like ripples on water. I say unfortunate because at that point, they all had to go.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 6 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #96

Rock Bar!

Here is the pic of my Elk. It was the biggest Cow I have ever shot. It was right before dark and the next morning I spent a long time packing it out.

The last pic shows a storm coming in one evening. It looks like a waterfall from the heavens complete with mood lighting.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Sep 6 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 6,983

Woody,
Congratulations on the huge cow!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
Excellent pics and really good to hear that your annual trip was a success on many levels.
These are the good ole days! cheers.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 14 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #98

Rock Bar!

Weekend Prospecting,

Headed up north again this weekend and did a little poking around. Did not spend much time processing material but rather did some research on foot surveying the place. It took me the better part of the day to be satisfied with what I was doing. The drainage I was looking in has very little to no water. I have been doing some work in the high end of it and must hand carry my buckets a short distance to the wheelbarrow, then it is about a ¼ mile hike to the creek. I need to look seriously at getting or making some kind of recirculation highbanker system. For the rest of the year however I have conceded that I will just have to be content to be a Mule.

I managed to find time to run 8 buckets of unscreened dirt through my sluice. The first two buckets were from the same spot I was working before and showed fair color and nice large Garnets.

The next two buckets came from a new test hole. I took this sample from about 20 inches below the ground surface. I found no garnets of any size and absolutely no color at all.

I went back to my first spot and took two more buckets. This time I made an effort to make sure all material came from deeper than the normal layer of material I was working in. Again, Zilch! Nothing! No color and no sizable Garnets.

I then took my last two buckets from only an inch or so below the surface. Immediately I found nice sized garnets and color.

All in all I really didn’t find much in the way of color but when you consider that it all came from only 4 unscreened buckets then I was very satisfied with the results. Also I determined that it was not necessary to dig any deeper than just a few inches down and will use this information to the full extent as I continue to work the location. I’ll be back as soon as I can and will let you know how it goes, Woody.

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 14 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #99

Rock Bar!

Getting ready for the night, just had to make a little bite to eat first.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Woody
post Sep 14 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #100

Rock Bar!

Here was this nights sleeping arrangements. Aspen looks like she is going to try to take up all the room for herself. It got fairly cold and there was some frost on the ground when I got up at daybreak. Winter is just around the coner.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Proud CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

31 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
30 User(s) are reading this topic (30 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 AM