ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Montezuma's Treasure Vault?, Stone Ruins Discovered While Prospecting
MikeS
post Feb 10 2015, 12:33 AM
Post #31

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 116,265

The tower and the holes surely look man-made to me Astrobleme. Very Cool! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 10 2015, 09:44 PM
Post #32

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 6,813

Everyone who is following this,

I want to thank you for your interest. This site has been kept from the public records until I became aware of a proposed project I saw in the news as the Ecology Park Area Trail Development (DOI-BLM-CO-F02-2014-0031 EA). My family and others continue pushing the Department of Interior to protect this site.

A couple of days ago, a BLM archeologist told me that the ruins were either an unused kiln to bake bricks from a clay source 2 miles away or the ruins was used to burn local trash. puke.gif

It is obvious now, the best way to protect these ruins is to let the public know the location so that they can take actions to protect the site. Here is the Treasure Map... info_grin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
Annual Dues Paying Member Since 2008

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
fenixsmom
post Feb 10 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #33

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

Ahh. Now I see why you posted it's location. That isba good idea indeed.

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 12 2015, 06:23 PM
Post #34

Rock Bar!

There will be a tour of the stone ruins site that is located within the boundaries of the BLM and Recreation District Trails Project at Canon City, Colorado. A group will be leaving from the south end of the Ecology Park (on Temple Canyon road) parking lot at 1:00 p.m. this Saturday, February 14th. All interested parties are welcome to come along. The ruins are close to a road and very little hiking is involved. The weather forecast is excellent for this short outing.

Please consider taking some time to visit this site as it is possibly the oldest standing masonry structure in Fremont County.

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

"Some day this crater is going to be a greatly talked about place, and if the above credit is due, as is certainly the case, I would like to have it generally known for the sake of the children." Daniel Moreau Barringer 2/1/1912 in a letter about the Barringer Meteorite Crater, Arizona USA

+Quote Post
RhodoRose
post Feb 12 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #35

Shovel Buster!

Member No.: 86,914

Thanks for the info, Astro - it just so happens I'm not working shift this weekend, I'll plan on being there!

p.s. fyi, here's a map showing where Ecology Park is. Attached File  ecology_park.pdf ( 2.37MB ) Number of downloads: 726

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 13 2015, 09:10 AM
Post #36

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (RhodoRose @ Feb 12 2015, 10:16 PM) *
Thanks for the info, Astro - it just so happens I'm not working shift this weekend, I'll plan on being there!

p.s. fyi, here's a map showing where Ecology Park is. Attached File  ecology_park.pdf ( 2.37MB ) Number of downloads: 726

Thanks for putting up the map RhodoRose. If you're running late, drive on up County Road 3 (Temple Canyon Road) to the Section 13 Trailhead Parking Lot. Just look for my black Ford Raptor and I won't be too far away... down in the nearby gulch as shown on the Treasure Map.

Look forward to meeting you!

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
Denise
post Feb 15 2015, 02:49 PM
Post #37

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

You are top notch Johnny!! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif smiley-clapping.gif What a fantastic opportunity to get an up close view of such a fantastic location. Amazing to be able to put the pieces together of history like that Johnny.
<---Watches Johnny feed the coal into his train. emoticon-object-009.gif
happy112.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 20 2015, 07:55 PM
Post #38

Rock Bar!

On the tour, I found broken pottery that appeared to be eroding out from a mound. Here is a photo of one of the shards in place...undisturbed...the penny is mine that I used for size comparison. The shard remains where it was discovered, the penny went back into my pocket. A penny saved is ...a penny 2c.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post
CP
post Feb 21 2015, 05:36 PM
Post #39

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

It is a penny! biggrin.gif
Interesting to find more pieces of the puzzle on the tour, cool. Sounded like a fun day with the tour checking out the site, wished I could have made it. Look forward to hearing more about what's learned in the future as it's studied too! Thanks for the updates Astrobleme, good work with this project! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
CP-Owner/Administrator
www.ColoradoProspector.com

IF YOU USE IT, THE GROUND PRODUCED IT!
MINERS MAKE "IT" HAPPEN!!

+Quote Post
ASTROBLEME
post Feb 25 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #40

Rock Bar!

Hi Everyone,

It's been a few years since I've posted anything new on this thread. I hope you find this update interesting.

My archaeologist friend found a bead that eroded from the steep creek bank at the Tower site. He sent me these photos;

Attached Image

Attached Image

I'm thinking that it is possible that this "green" trade bead is associated with Chief Cuerno Verde (translated from Spanish to Greenhorn). The Spanish named him, Cuerno Verde because of his remarkable bison-horned headdress. In late October of 1768, 500 Comanches attacked Ojo Caliente before dawn attempting to wipe out all the Spaniards. During the attack the Spanish killed the Comanche’s charismatic leader, Cuerno Verde in the town square. The chief’s son, Tabivo Naritgant took his father's name and dedicated himself to killing Spaniards in revenge. His given name was Tabivo Naritgant, or "Dangerous Man." He received his distinctive leather headdress with green-tinted buffalo horns from his father. Comanche beliefs bound Cuerno Verde’s family to avenge his death.

Juan Bautista de Anza chased after him. Cuerno Verde’s distinctive headdress was claimed by Anza. He sent it to Teodoro de Croix, the first commandant general of the Northern section of New Spain. According to legend, it was forwarded to his superiors who eventually sent it to the Vatican, where it still may be buried in the Library.

No one has found artifacts to prove the actual location of the battle between Anza and Cuerno Verde. Wilfred O. Martinez (a descendant of Bernardo Miera y Pacheco, the mapmaker for Anza’s campaign) believes the site is 18 miles south of Pueblo near the Burnt Mill Road Bridge over the St. Charles River (Rio San Carlos). He thinks others had been misled by a bad translation of zanja. They thought it meant “bog” or “swamp,” when it fact it’s an arroyo. The monument in Greenhorn Park was moved there from another location west and closer to Greenhorn Creek. It is unlikely that it marks the exact location of the battle.

The history noted above was part of the documentation from this source;

Story of the Greenhorn

Sincerely,

ASTROBLEME

--------------------

Tonko Mining Company

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:31 AM