ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

29 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Clear Creek
EMac
post Jun 8 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #261

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,949

That's damn tempting. Will you be there Saturday as well?

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 8 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 6,983

I won't but Crusty might be... you're always welcome to stay there either way. happy070.gif

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jun 9 2016, 06:14 AM
Post #263

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 82,915

QUOTE (swizz @ Jun 8 2016, 08:38 PM) *
I won't but Crusty might be... you're always welcome to stay there either way. happy070.gif

I'm just riding up to help Swizz get the claim opened up for the year and get the new stove set up, so I'll be headed home Friday too.

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
swizz
post Jun 9 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #264

Member No.: 6,983

Bring some prospecting stuff, we'll have time to do a little sampling. Maybe bring your chainsaw too, I'll have mine but always good to have a second in case we had any major blow-downs.

--------------------

/l
,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
BLACK SANDS MATTER!
Very Happy CP Lifetime Member
CP CORE TEAM

Referral Code CE213

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jun 10 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #265

Rock Bar!

CC spiked over 7' and 1700 cubic ft per second this morning. JeffCo sheriff is restricting water activities, but didn't see anything about fishing or prospecting (which isn't swimming), so game on tomorrow. I'm not sure where I'll be exactly, but figure I'll start lower around ~270.25 after tunnel 1, and sample until I find suitable color to setup. I may very well find myself going back to near 260, but I suspect it'll be hard to get around with the water that high.

If I have time this afternoon, I'll probably head up and scout around.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it's impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer." ~Niccolò Machiavelli

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jun 10 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #266

Master Mucker!

QUOTE (EMac @ Jun 10 2016, 11:35 AM) *
CC spiked over 7' and 1700 cubic ft per second this morning. JeffCo sheriff is restricting water activities, but didn't see anything about fishing or prospecting (which isn't swimming), so game on tomorrow. I'm not sure where I'll be exactly, but figure I'll start lower around ~270.25 after tunnel 1, and sample until I find suitable color to setup. I may very well find myself going back to near 260, but I suspect it'll be hard to get around with the water that high.

If I have time this afternoon, I'll probably head up and scout around.

Looking at it driving home from Swizz's, it definitely looked WAY up; looked really rough!

--------------------
Find Colorado Prospector on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170314493176558

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jun 11 2016, 09:20 AM
Post #267

Rock Bar!

I'm getting a late start (apparently we need sleep, and the body demanded it this morning), and will head up there shortly. Some sampling yesterday has me heading to MM 263 if anyone is thinking about it. Backup plan is to give it a go on Bill's claim just downstream from there (Bill in Golden detectors lets anyone go...he just wants you to sign the liability release).

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jun 12 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #268

Rock Bar!

It was a good day yesterday. I found a nice spot at MM263 where the water was quiet enough to work in comfortably. The area by the boulder in the parking area creates a chute and an eddy where excess water has to circle around to try the chute again. I sampled that eddy, and another area just after the chute where some larger rocks shoot water to the side creating another slower zone through chunky cobble. Both were showing decent color, so I opted for the area after the chute. Academically, I figure the first eddy would likely have better color overall, but setting up the motor would have been harder, and the area didn't smell good. It's definitely a nice area for kids to go party since you can hide in the boulders; I picked up a shopping bag's worth of trash from the area trying to keep it nice. I'm going to start taking bigger trash bags.

I suspect we could get a sluice setup in the area I was working with some moving of rocks around. The downside is the water is still moving swiftly, and has a pulse. Aside from the color, and short trip to the truck, I liked the safety of the area such that if I slipped and fell, I'd be caught in the baffles before hitting the rushing current. I tried a wetsuit out for the first time as well, and I like it better than waders. I will need to figure out something better for my feet when it's colder though.

I did some mild checking, and there's definitely gold; I'm not sure how much though. I'm debating keeping these cons separate from MM260, but I'll probably end up combining them. I ain't exactly mapping a pay streak here, and this is far from controlled sampling.

Not much dry real estate to work on at MM260:

Attached Image

Bushes and trees are under water:

Attached Image

Eddy before the chute at MM263:

Attached Image

After the chute where I worked:

Attached Image

BBQ afterwards at a buddy's, and there was a cool lightning storm across the way:

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jun 12 2016, 08:11 PM
Post #269

Master Mucker!

WOw, water is definitely high! Glad you managed to get out!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post
Denise
post Jun 12 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #270

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Looked like fun and a great way to cool off! Love the lightning pics Eric!! Glad you had a good day out. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
CL6
post Jun 13 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #271

Diggin' In!

Member No.: 122,582

Next month I'm going to telluride Silverton area anybody worked that area before

+Quote Post
Steve B
post Jun 18 2016, 02:56 PM
Post #272

Observer

Member No.: 122,685

QUOTE (EMac @ Jun 12 2016, 09:18 AM) *
It was a good day yesterday. I found a nice spot at MM263 where the water was quiet enough to work in comfortably. The area by the boulder in the parking area creates a chute and an eddy where excess water has to circle around to try the chute again. I sampled that eddy, and another area just after the chute where some larger rocks shoot water to the side creating another slower zone through chunky cobble. Both were showing decent color, so I opted for the area after the chute. Academically, I figure the first eddy would likely have better color overall, but setting up the motor would have been harder, and the area didn't smell good. It's definitely a nice area for kids to go party since you can hide in the boulders; I picked up a shopping bag's worth of trash from the area trying to keep it nice. I'm going to start taking bigger trash bags. I suspect we could get a sluice setup in the area I was working with some moving of rocks around. The downside is the water is still moving swiftly, and has a pulse. Aside from the color, and short trip to the truck, I liked the safety of the area such that if I slipped and fell, I'd be caught in the baffles before hitting the rushing current. I tried a wetsuit out for the first time as well, and I like it better than waders. I will need to figure out something better for my feet when it's colder though. I did some mild checking, and there's definitely gold; I'm not sure how much though. I'm debating keeping these cons separate from MM260, but I'll probably end up combining them. I ain't exactly mapping a pay streak here, and this is far from controlled sampling. Not much dry real estate to work on at MM260:
Attached Image
Bushes and trees are under water:
Attached Image
Eddy before the chute at MM263:
Attached Image
After the chute where I worked:
Attached Image
BBQ afterwards at a buddy's, and there was a cool lightning storm across the way:
Attached Image

Attached Image

My son and I went out to MM263 about a week back and were working the boulder as well. It looked promising but we are novices to the whole prospecting thing. In reality this was the first time setting up the sluice and I believe we did it wrong after additional research when we returned. As I usually work on the weekends I only get a chance to get out during the first few days of the week. If anyone is interested in educating - I'm open to the instruction. I also tried Alma (#12) this past Wednesday but couldn't ID the survey pin/marker. According to my hand held GPS I was close. Took the metal detector out and found the various assortment of nails, 22 cal lead, bottle caps and a kazoo!

+Quote Post
EMac
post Jun 19 2016, 09:07 PM
Post #273

Rock Bar!

QUOTE (Steve B @ Jun 18 2016, 03:56 PM) *
My son and I went out to MM263 about a week back and were working the boulder as well. It looked promising but we are novices to the whole prospecting thing. In reality this was the first time setting up the sluice and I believe we did it wrong after additional research when we returned. As I usually work on the weekends I only get a chance to get out during the first few days of the week. If anyone is interested in educating - I'm open to the instruction. I also tried Alma (#12) this past Wednesday but couldn't ID the survey pin/marker. According to my hand held GPS I was close. Took the metal detector out and found the various assortment of nails, 22 cal lead, bottle caps and a kazoo!

The kazoo sounds promising...haha.

I work during the week, but I need to burn vacation. If the weather looks decent for this Friday, that's a definite possibility to go. I can offer up what I know if you're off that day. "First few days of the week" doesn't sound promising though. There's definitely gold out there. I didn't get any pics of my checking, but saw color after short dredge runs.

What kind of sluice are you using? Make/model? Home built?

I'll let you know as the week progresses if Friday is gonna happen.

--------------------
Lifetime Member
opera non verba

Ref Code:

EM448

+Quote Post
johnnybravo300
post Jun 25 2016, 09:58 AM
Post #274

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 120,659

I'll be down south of the Silverton area sometime this summer but not sure when yet, hot on the trail of the lost Baker brothers lode. Still waiting on water levels to drop which they finally are now, so the snow melt is getting close to gone.
I spent this last winter doing research on the lime creek drainages along 550 and also taylor park/Union park near tincup. I'm making my first trip up tomorrow to see what I can see and hopefully have will have a successful day sampling.
There was a gold bearing quartz vein somewhere on cross mountain found and lost again in 1890, that was reported as ten feet thick and the ore assayed at $440 per ton. If I get lucky this summer maybe I will retire!
The lost vein isn't my goal at this time but I will keep my eyes open.
The telluride area also has some gold but most areas are private or claimed.
If I had the time and money to spend I would work the West needles South of Silverton. Vast and very rough terrain made it almost impossible for the old timers to access it and it was mostly passed up. Very good potential if you can get in there.

--------------------
Level 2 member -12/25/16
Referral code JL697

+Quote Post
Crusty
post Jun 25 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #275

Master Mucker!

Sounds like some promising leads! Happy hunting!

--------------------

CP Lifetime Member

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:40 PM