ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
High Country Hiking
leonard
post Sep 24 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

Some friends and I went on a "little" hike yesterday. 3.2 miles one way with a 1650 foot elevation gain. It was to a old mine site. We foud a few samples with visable gold in them. The old timers were really tough though. I can't imaging working the spots they had shafts in. I didn't make it to the upper mine sites. I would have never made it home if I would have tried. As it was, I was in survival mode for about the last mile.

Gps route

View back to the beginning from the end

There were two shafts back into the vertical face in the circle. There were 2 more down a little ways to the left

http://golddredger.com/dcforum/User_files/...7c23348641a.jpg
The end point of the main hike. There was an old collapsed shaft here also. 2 of the guys went on up the hill to the upper shafts.

Leonard
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Coalbunny
post Sep 24 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Master Mucker

Member No.: 98

Where's this at? Part of me is tempted to say Wyoming....
Carl

--------------------
Today's socio-political climate is rock solid proof that Adam and Eve weren't prospectors.
If they were they'd have eaten the snake instead of the apple and we'd still be in heaven....

+Quote Post
leonard
post Sep 24 2005, 06:16 PM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

A lot closer than that. Winter park.

+Quote Post
Denise
post Sep 26 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Master Mucker!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 4

Very cool Leonard. I bet you had a blast! I know I would have. Dan knew exactly where that was, but he looks at maps of Colorado here alot. :D Thanks for the pics.

--------------------
Education is the key to the future,
and participation opens the door to opportunity.

Discover your prospecting independence & success!

ColoradoProspector.com

Owner/Webmaster
Core team member

+Quote Post
leonard
post Sep 26 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #5

Rock Bar!

I had backpacked with the kids all around the eastern side of the mountains around there about 15 years ago but had never been on the western side. We had a great time and I'm planning on a 3-4 day return trip next summer so I can check out the upper mine adits. One of the guys brought back a sample rock with visable gold in it and he really didn't know what he was looking for. Not that I do either but I think I have a better idea than he did.

I didn't try any sample pans in the creek as I was busy just keeping up with the rest of the group. There was bedrock showing everywhere so there just might be a few good spots. A trip where it was 1 day up 2 days exploring and 1 day back would just about work out right. If I would have tried to go to the upper adits someone would have had to carry me out. It was all I wanted to do just hiking the amount I did.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:25 AM