ColoradoProspector   CP Club Membership Info.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Corn Wallace, Questions that need answers
NewRockHounder
post Jul 7 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #1

Rock Bar!

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,890

Oh hello, didn't see you come in.. I was wondering about rock chisels.. what should I use and where to get them? I don't have a mining store close to me, so that's outta the question. =( Does Ace hardware sell such things? Also be nice if someone answered my other post about polishing, I'm at a loss. Also, also, looking for an expert rock hounder to take me under his/her wing and show me some (not all) of the ropes, as I'm just digging where-ever I see quartz on the surface... obviously following it up the hill side to the possible source, but three trips of three day camping/excavating (by hand, no permit, no claim) and only two smokey quartz, one of which is busted in half, tho it's four inches long.. still sucky) is no way, in my opinion to rock hound.. yes I'm new to all this, but that's pretty sad.. tho I will say, something over nothing... any/all help would be appreciated.

--------------------
- You Rock! (Literally)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
fenixsmom
post Oct 30 2014, 11:47 AM
Post #2

Master Mucker!

Member No.: 116,305

So my golden desires have led me into cracking river rocks. I have hopes of finding a hidden vein and/or stuck pickers. (Can't be too optimistic on this one) I picked up some little chisels and own a carpenter's hammer. Needless to say, it isn't working as well as I had hoped. Live and learn right? So I need a new shopping list.
Eastwing ROCK chisels (thanks Mike!)
Sledge hammer probably a 4-5 lb'r (thanks Colin!)
Stiff wire brush
Jewlers loupe what 40x?
Safety glasses.

Any other things that anyone can suggest to make life easier? I'll probably be targeting 25-50 lbs rocks, maybe the smaller ones for crushing fun!

+Quote Post
MikeS
post Oct 30 2014, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Rock Bar!

Member No.: 116,265

QUOTE (fenixsmom @ Oct 30 2014, 12:47 PM) *
Jewlers loupe what 40x?

Mine is a 15x loupe. I bought it from Naja Tool & Supply for $20. it has a wide lens and viewing area which is helpful in the field. I can barely tell the difference from a 20x except most of those have a smaller viewing area.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th June 2024 - 03:12 AM